Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 11:22 AM

We are a family of four. Two kids 12 and 15. We will be on the mariner and visiting the bahamas, st. thomas, and st. marrten. We want to snorkel, parasail, and "swim with the dolphins" which I know isn't really swimming with them. Does anyone have any experience doing any of these things at any of these places? We also would rather not set these up with the cruise line. I hear you can save ALOT of money that way.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:10 PM

You'd be better off posting this in the Caribbean Ports of Call board since it's not cruiseline specific - I think you'll get a better response.

I've not done those excursions so I can't comment on that part ...

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 01-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kate Ashlock:
You'd be better off posting this in the Caribbean Ports of Call board since it's not cruiseline specific - I think you'll get a better response.
Done!
Old 01-25-2006, 12:35 PM

LOL, I need that magic power Dave! Just kidding.... now I hope kel actually gets a response here.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 01-25-2006, 02:18 PM

We have done both, through the ship and on our own. The swim with the dolphins was awesome, even though it really isn't swimming as you say. In St. Thomas we usually take the ferry to St. Johns and go to Trunk Bay. It is a beach snorkel and they have lockers, showers, and a place to get snacks. It was $6.00 per person for the ferry, and I can't remember how much to get into the beach or the cab fare was. Trunk Bay is gorgeous. The last time we were in St. Thomas, we booked a catamaran to Buck Island from the ship and it was well worth the money. It was a private cat, well kept and the people who ran it were great. In St. Maarten we tried to do snorkeling on our own and bombed. About the only thing we saw were broken beer bottles. However, the snorkel we did through the ship was wonderful. It may save you some money up front, and either way you will enjoy, but the ships try to only use vendors that are reputable and that they get good reviews from. Princess sends crew members on tours, so I would assume other cruise lines do the same. You also have the assurance that the ship will wait for you if anything goes wrong. Have a great trip!!
Old 06-28-2006, 06:01 PM

-in St. Thomas-SHOP!!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 06:29 AM

If you want to swim with the dolphins and will be at Nassau, check with the Blue Lagoon, they have a website. They have a swim with the dolphin program that books a couple months in advance. Royal Caribbean offers a dolphin encounter through Blue Lagoon, but to swim with them you have to contact Blue Lagoon directly. Another option, if you will be flying in or out of Miami, the Miami Seaqurium has a swim with the dolphins program.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
In St. Maarten we tried to do snorkeling on our own and bombed. About the only thing we saw were broken beer bottles.
Penny,
A Southern Lady like you - Lawd, Lawd I had y'all figured for Mint Juleps!

Old 07-01-2006, 04:00 PM

If you want to snokel, go the St Johns Trunk bay.
You we look around and want believe the beauty.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:53 PM

In St. Thomas, Coki beach is good for snorkeling also. Trunk Bay beats all the beaches in my opinion.

Closed Thread