Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 01:19 PM

Megan

I don't know about Carnival, but the last time I went on Royal Caribbean they wanted everyone onboard half an hour prior to the departure time. So if your departure time is 5:00 they will want you back onboard by 4:30, assuming the rules are the same for Carnival as they are for Royal Caribbean.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 PM

I just want to add that I don't advise this either!

Carnival's last call so to speak is 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time in most cases. They will not hold a ship for a private excursion very long if at all. I have seen countless people being boarded along side the ships because they missed it. This service isn't cheap even if you'd be lucky enough get one.

This is no way to end a wonderful day. I know. I almost missed the Glory on Roatan last year because someone in our group wanted to do a second dive. Not a fan of the running to the ship thing.

Dwayne
Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 AM
Well I have been on this route 4 times already not in Carnival victory but in Carnival Destiny almost the same kind of cruise.

Let me tell you how it will go on Barbados, After ending your tour and going back to the ship there will be two checking points:

1. The will stop your car or bus outside the port on the Barbados security point this sometimes take a few minutes sometimes more, and yes everyone have to do it is the law there.

2. Then your will travel to the port stores, kind of a mall point and walk to your ship, like 5 minutes from ship.

3. you get to the Cruise ship security point prior entering ship.

as for the time arrival you have to be on the ship at 4:30pm exact, at 4:31 pm they will remove the gangway.

Also Barbados traffic is a little extreme at 4:30 pm so this could be trouble, I always book from the cruise company on Barbados mostly because of this.

"I have spoken with our charter service and they are dropping us off a short distance from the port and I am also ending the tour earlier. Thanks for all of your great input!"

Well they will have to drop you off on the mall area the port autorities will not let them near the cruise ship.

Just a note:

This is my advise if they will not finish the tour prior 3:30 pm don't do it.
I remember a few horror stories from a few past posts, "car broke down", "traffic jam", etc.

Just to be clear let me tell you this way:

IF YOU DON'T ARRIVE AT 4:30 THEY WILL LEAVE YOU IS A PRIVATE TOUR IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY NOT CARNIVAL.

But many people think

"the ship will wait for me"
"they will not dare to leave a passanger behind on a unknown country without passport"

here is a good video from you tube that can help you decide is you want to take the risk:

HERE

so next time anyone book a private tour consider to be on time, this could be a great cruise ending story but a bad experience anyway...
Old 08-13-2009, 06:32 AM

That video is funny. Yeah, you don't want to be late!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 AM

Yup, everyone always thinks the Cruise Director is joking when he says to be back on time or you will be only able to get a great picture of the ship from the pier.... Its said in jest but it is not a joke....
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 AM

They have a schedule to keep. Plus, I know if we were late leaving because we had to wait for a couple who can't tell time or whatever, I'd be a little peeved. Unless it's some out of their control emergency or something, but you need to be on time.

When I was in St. Thomas, there were some shops I wanted to go in, but I was already cutting it close so I headed back to the ship. Better safe than sorry.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Also people from the US, particularly the North and Midwest, do not fully understand "island time". We are talking about people for whom that old song "don't worry, be happy" is a lifestyle. We had a busload of people on Puerto Rico last winter who had 4 p.m. flights, we left El Yunque at 2 p.m. (Picture a busload of people refusing to get off at the last stop and demanding to be returned to San Juan with a very befuddled driver wondering why we didn't want to finish the tour--and proceeding to drive 19 mph back to the City with all of us having panic attacks--Oh, yeah, this was a ship sponsored tour, but I don't think Northwest/Delta airline would care, if you see what I mean--we were told this tour would end at the airport at 1:30) It is a totally different mindset, and part of why it is so pleasurable to go to the Caribbean and kick back, but not so pleasant when you have a fixed deadline.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-13-2009, 10:52 AM

Oh yeah, I know you regulars have heard about our Puerto Rican tour on the bus to Perdition before. I just keep reliving it. I am probably never going to let this go!
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-13-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I know you regulars have heard about our Puerto Rican tour on the bus to Perdition before. I just keep reliving it. I am probably never going to let this go!
I remember you posting about that experience.

Quote:
When I was in St. Thomas, there were some shops I wanted to go in, but I was already cutting it close so I headed back to the ship. Better safe than sorry.
There are actually some boat owners that make a good living on St. Thomas delivering passengers to the ships that miss them. I don't want to ever have to go through that ordeal. Better safe than sorry is right.

Dwayne
Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
a good living on St. Thomas delivering passengers to the ships that miss them
How do they get on the ship? Shimmy up the side?

Closed Thread

Tags
back, board, call, caribbean, carribean, departs, latest, living, ports, reboarding, roatan, royal, time