Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   George Town, Grand Cayman excursion (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/16206-george-town-grand-cayman-excursion.html)

Wren 02-14-2007 03:49 AM

My family and i are sailing on the Enchantment of the Seas March 17th. I was thinking of booking a snorkeling excursion the morning of the day we stop in Grand Cayman and then when we are done hire a driver to take us to the town of Hell. Has anyone done this? Is it safe? What does the driver cost? Thank you.

Sonny V 02-14-2007 05:29 AM

Hello Wren, welcome to Cruise-Chat. When we are in Georgetown we usually book Captain Marvins stingray tour. It's a must in my opinion. You can book it on the web. Hell is just a small post office. It's just a tourist attraction. Not much to see... HELL POST OFFICE

Sonny

Here is a photo of my wife and a STINGRAY

4familycruiser 02-14-2007 04:08 PM

Hi,
Does Captain Marvins stingra tour have to be booked in advance? Can it just be done whaen you arrive. (not through the ship)

Thanks for all of the advice, and humorious banter!

Jim C. 02-14-2007 05:51 PM

Its safest to book in advance so that you are gauranteed a spot. But, most of the tour operators will be standing where the tenders dock and you can ask them if you can get on a tour then.. But I would recommend the reservation.. with 2000+ people dumping into George Town for each ship (and there may be 4 or 5 ships there at once) you could very well not get on a tour (it is VERY popular)

Sonny V 02-14-2007 09:53 PM

I book it on line. You won't be charged until you show up. We invited some people on the ship to come along with us and there was no problem.

Sonny

mollroddot 02-15-2007 05:37 AM

I booked on line. There in January and there was 7 ships in dock. They cahrged $5.00 more if you didn't book on line. We took a small boat, it seemed better than thoese with 200 people on them.

goin' cruisin' 02-15-2007 02:46 PM

I concur with the Stingray City as a must do; the tour to the turtle farm was great, until we realized that many of them were being raised for food. It kind of took some of the intrigue away from the trip. Hell, on the other hand, is reallllly cheeeezzy; especially the cardboard devils hangin' out in the geological formation.

Wren 02-15-2007 03:20 PM

I have been to Grand Cayman before and I have done the Stingray City excursion and you are right its great. I want to do something different this time and I understand its really cheesy, I just thought it would be fun.
I just wanted to know if anyone has ever hired a taxi driver to take them somewhere in Grand Cayman.

Sonny V 02-15-2007 10:00 PM

Yes, My wife and I and our two friends did in October. He showed us a school, the governor's house on the beach, the Tortuga rum co., and took us to Hell and back. It was worth doing. Here are some pictures I took while on the taxi tour. After the first picture click on the "Next" on the upper left of the picture to see more. CLICK HERE

Sonny

Wren 02-16-2007 02:54 AM

Thank you SonnyV. Was it hard to find a taxi or were they just all over? How much did you pay him? I was thinking of taking a snorkeling excursion in the morning and then the taxi ride, that should work out, shouldn't it? Thank you again!