Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 AM

What is the pier like in Ocho Rios? Are there alot of shops, resteraunt/bars or things to do there? We will be booking a side trip, anyone have any ideas what is the best thing to do?

Free Cruise Tickers
Carnival Miracle-05/07
Grandeur of the Seas-03/06
Caribbean Princess-04/05
Old 01-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

The pier itself just has a couple tourist trap shops but just a couple hundred feet away from the pier entrance there is Island Village, which is a secure open air mall of shops and also Margaritaville. It is guarded at the gate so no panhandlers can get inside.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:25 AM

Margaritaville is a lot of fun, easy walk to the pier but you still may get hit on by some of the panhandlers. I just try not to make eye contact! We've done the river tubing trip which was really great!! Would do it again. Have also done the beach horseback ride, don't know if I would recommend it. We had a blast but a lady fell off her horse, hit her head and didn't get much in the way of medical assistance! I am a nurse and they wouldn't let me get off my horse to check her out. It started to rain hard on the horse ride back to where we started...the guides got into Giddy-up mode and those horses were going really fast (at least it seemed that way to me!) along this muddy trail, in the rain. Not to be too negative I will tell you that when we were on the horses in the sea it was a LOT of fun even for those who "fell off" into the water!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Yup, Margaritaville is a lot of fun. The panhandlers can be relentless though, some don't leave you alone.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 AM

Although we don't really enjoy Jamaica as a stop we walked to Island Village last week & enjoyed it. They have a neat cultural show which begins at 11:00 AM sharp & doesn't cost anything (other than a small tip for the performers). We also went Margaritaville for an hour or so to watch the tourists & get a drink. Be sure to ask the disk jockey wrist band for a free drink if you headed to Cozumel the next day. You'll have to keep it on until you get to Margaritaville in Cozumel. (if you cut it off they won't give you the drink).
Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Just remember that when they offer you "free beads" or whatever else they are selling that nothing is "free".
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 PM

And on that same vein don't allow anyone to put any jewelry on you-believe me in this high pressure environment you have as good as bought it. We love Jamaica, especially Ochos, but we always stay with a tour (group). It is safer and more comfortable in general to do so.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-03-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Cruiser-Hydes:
Margaritaville is a lot of fun, easy walk to the pier but you still may get hit on by some of the panhandlers. I just try not to make eye contact! We've done the river tubing trip which was really great!! Would do it again. Have also done the beach horseback ride, don't know if I would recommend it. We had a blast but a lady fell off her horse, hit her head and didn't get much in the way of medical assistance! I am a nurse and they wouldn't let me get off my horse to check her out. It started to rain hard on the horse ride back to where we started...the guides got into Giddy-up mode and those horses were going really fast (at least it seemed that way to me!) along this muddy trail, in the rain. Not to be too negative I will tell you that when we were on the horses in the sea it was a LOT of fun even for those who "fell off" into the water!
Do you remember the name of the tour group you booked through for the Horseback riding... we are booked in april with Jamaica Cruise Adventures. I'm now a little leary after reading your post. De&Rich
Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 AM

Don't know who these people used. We booked through Hooves (could be the stable your tour company uses, although you can book directly) and were thrilled, and none of us are "horse people". Had just our family of four in the group, and I am not sure these horses had a giddy-up mode, which was fine by us. I am afraid of horses and got put on one called "Defender" who they say is the mount for babies (they had brought him out for my daughter, and she ended up on the slightly more spirited mount). Hope things work out as well for you, after many cruises this tour is on our top couple for favorites.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
adventures, carnival, cruise, destiny, dock, fall, jamaica, ocho, ochos, pier, review, reviews, rios, shopping, things