Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 09:42 AM

I loved Tulum, and the setting is beautiful. No wonder they chose that site to build. Of course, I'm no expert.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:45 PM

There are several ruins on the island of Cozumel. San Gervasio is the most impressive and I do NOT recommend it. It fell short of any ruins I have seen. There are several other 'ruin sites' but do not be fooled. A friend and I, who are quite active and able bodied followed signs to another ruin, after our disappointment at SGervasio. It was deserted, however, once I parked the Jeep, several men came out of the bushes with machetes in the air-not just in their hands!!! My friend froze. I started the jeep yelled to my friend to hang on, threw the jeep in reverse and yelled get out of the way. I thought we were going to be killed [I never exaggerate]. The men had circled the jeep, I backed up full speed, pulled the parking brake and spun the jeep around, shifted to first, popped the clutch determined that if the men did not get out of the way we were going to take at least one of them down.

Have never heard of anyone else having this experience, even spoke with other long time visitors to the island [mostly dive folks]. I chalk this up to a one time occurence and do not let it keep me from enjoying the rest of the island.

Just do not go down small dirt roads. Listen to your inner voice, mine was screaming as we were going deeper in the jungle. But my friend and I thought we had to go 'deep' to see ruins. The only ruins to visit on the island are SGervasio and they are lame. Visit Tulum or if you are in port for at least ten hours spend the eight hours to visit Chichen Izta.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

I've been reading two books by Fodor's: "Cancun, Cozumel, Yucatan Peninsula 2007" and "The Complete Guide to Caribbean Cruises." The first book has site maps for each ruin. The second book has a ports-of-call section.

You don't have to buy the books, but they're nice to have on your cruise when your ports may change. Easy access to information instead of the onboard internet expense. I understand you can also read this same information on their website simply named fodors.com.

You've probably already researched the carnival.com website cruise excursions. The explanations say how long it takes to get to them and how long you get to look at the ruins. It may help to narrow down which ruin is best accessible from which port.

Of course, asking the experienced cruisers here at cruise-chat for their recommendations is an excellent way to narrow down your choices. So I'll be reading this thread along with you because I'm curious what they have to say. Tulum/Xel-ha and Chichen Itza are ruins I'm interested in, but I'm still open for suggestions and wise direction.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by crazyfamilycruisers:
Which Mayan Ruins are the best to visit and why? We are visiting Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya. I would love to visit all of them but I don't think the fam would go for it. Since there is more than 1 in each port, can you tell me which is the best? Thanks.

Chichen Itza! Period.
BTW, it was recently named one of the Wonders of the World.

Read and post cruise reviews
Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Inspiration 2008
Carnival Triumph 2008
Explorer of the Seas 2009
Old 08-20-2007, 06:49 AM

Chacchoben ruins are very nice but they do not compare to Chichen Itza. Chacchoben will become better when it is fully excavated. Some of the stone temples are still under layers of earth yet to be uncovered. This is one of the temples in Chacchoben.

Closed Thread

Tags
belize, cahal, celebrity, coba, cruise, experts, lamanai, mayan, pech, princess, ruin, ruins, xunantunich