Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Boo:
Well I've been on a few cruises now. I know what the cruises are all about but I've NEVER been to Cozumel and this time my parents and two sisters and their family want to go. This really makes me nervous... since I'm getting the trip together and they have NEVER been outside the country or on a cruise. I'm good at "winging it" at whatever port I've been to but there's no way they would do that. I also have to factor in the "CHEAP" issue. I need some tips for things to do for my tight budget. We'll have 8 adults, 1 14 year old, 2 5 year olds and a 2 year old.... Any suggestions....
The only downside to Chankaanab Park is the $16.00 entrance fee per adult (not sure what they charge for kids)....since you said that "funds" were an issue.

It is hard to recommend anything specifically because we don't know your group's interest.

If you don't want a beach day....

If the adults were comfortable leaving the 2 5 year olds and the 2 year old in Camp Carnival...
then hiring a private driver to go to the East side would be interesting.

Gerry usually puts 8 in his van but he might be able to add the 14 year old.

Gerry charges $95.00 for 3 hours. If you want additional hours it is $25.00 an hour. You plan your day. He will also bring an icechest if you want to stop at the grocery for ice, soda and beer.

We did this in January and had a ball. We "bar hopped" the primitive bars on the East side. (Note: It might get a little "interesting" for the 14 year old at Coconuts...just a warning. )

But the East side is interesting to see....one small section has the porous rock where the waves "shoot up" through them.

Gerry speaks very good English. He picks you up right at the pier. The bars on the other side do not open until around 10:30am...so be aware. He can give you a "tour" of Cozumel.

The main road to cuts over to the East side has a "ruins site" on it...but there isn't much there to be SEEN. (It is not like the impressive ruins that you see towering up) BUT I have heard that the tour operators are very informative if you are into that kind of history. I think the entrance fee is $10.00 a person.

There is also a Tequila "museum" on that road...but there are no tastings. They don't make the Tequila there....just talk about the history and have a bunch of plants.

After a 3 hour tour....you could either have Gerry drop you off downtown (which would require a $7 taxi ride for up to 4 people back to the ship)...OR the adults could just do their shopping right there at the port. There are lots of stores right there at the ship.

Gerry does not require a credit card....you just email cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com to make your reservation. Then you pay him in cash at the end of the tour.

Email me if you are interested and I can send you a picture of him so that you will know who to look for at the pier. Just tell him which ship you will be on ...which day and he will know which pier to come to...

If you are looking for a beach day, I know the 14 year old would LOVE Paradise Beach.

They also just added a couple of kiddie water trampolines and an easy ladder water slide for the younger kids....but I am not sure about the 5 year olds being big enough for that...OR if one or two things would be worth the $10 wrist band for them. Remember that the wristbands are OPTIONAL....my boys always get them...hubby and I do not.

Email me at musicalcruiser@hotmail.com if you have some specific questions. just put Cruise Chat in the subject line...and I will try to help if I can.

Closed Thread

Tags
cozumel, negotiate, places, suggestions, tips, winging, year