Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 03:48 PM

We are flying into Newark in March from San Juan arriving at 10:10 AM and not leaving until 7:00 PM with Continental. Do we have enough time to go into the city and do some sightseeing before we depart? If so what would be the best way to travel and what should we see in that limited time? Thanks to anyone who can help !!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:30 AM

check out this page....i would just double check any information you get to make sure it is accurate...but you should be able to find fares and estimated travel times

once you do the math, and IF you have time to see the city, i would suggest doing things allow you to come and go as you please (i.e. not a broadway show)....check out central park, ground zero (former twin tower site), empire state building, shop on 5th ave, go to the top of the rock, stop by a museum, get some good food (china town, little italy or any of the other ethnic neighborhoods), see the seaport or many other things....even just walk around or find a bar and people watch

you should do a google search for any special events that might be happening that day

keep in mind - you can't do all those things since they are located in different parts of the city....look at a map, pick what you like, and leave time for delays and traffic....enjoy!

also where will you keep your luggage during all of this?
Old 09-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Statue of Liberty is spectacular and accessable by subway if you know how to navigate it. I am not familiar with Newark Airport but it seems reasonable that there will be access to the underground at the airport.

I second the ground zero visit. I was there before any "park" was created in 2002 but the emotional response it induced in me was as much as I have felt anywhere. There is nothing that brings out the impact of what happened on 9/11 like a personal visit.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 AM

maybe check out ground zero then head over to the seaport for some food and atmosphere?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:33 AM

I would do the Grayline Hop on/Hop off. You could do the whole loop around the city or half loops. In the limited time you have it would be the best way to see an overview of the city. If there's something you particularly want to see you can hop off, see it, and hop back on when the bus comes around again. Your going to have to keep an eye on the clock though to allow enough time with traffic to get back to Newark and checked in for your flight.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:26 AM

Thanks to Mike,CD and CF for the info but I guess we will have to use your advice another time.Our flight has been changed so we are not in NY nearly as long. We will make the trip someday when we have enough time to do every thing. Thanks again !!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Next time try to fly in the day before. There is a lot to see in NYC.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, reviews, yorkers