Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 02:17 PM

Hi!

Were going for a 4 day cruise to Key West and Cozumel and if this is our first cruise we have some questions...

PORTS:

1. I'm a beach-addict so when we arrive at Key West the first thing I want to do is grab my stuff and lay down and doing some snorkling. Is this possible and is the beach far away from the arrival port? And wich beach is highly recommended?
2. The time where spending in Cozumel we will see as much as we can, so ofcourse seeing the Mayan temples and having a beach break, are there any other sights that we must see there?

SHIP:

Our ship is the Fascination. We are very interested in whats for free and whats not, I mean whats including the cruisepackage and whats not (which drinks, activities,diners, pizzas, other deli-stuff).
And how about the tablesettings? Whe want to enjoy diner at our own, without other strange people sharing table with. Is this possible, and how to arrange that?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:28 PM

Hey Erik! When are you sailing? I'm leaving September 3.

Don't know much about Key West, it's going to be my first trip there also so sorry I can't help you with that, I do know that is the original home of Margaritaville so I plan on seeing it.

I have been to Cozumel, once, I went to Passion Island which was very nice but I plan on doing something else, just not sure what yet.

As far as the ship goes, ALL your food is included in your cruise. Soft drinks and alcohol are not, those you have to pay for. As far as dinner seating goes, I think you can request to sit alone, but you may want to hear what the cruise gurus have to say about that because I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Hope that helped a little bit!
10/03 CCL Carnival Legend
07/94 CCL Ecstasy

Add me as a friend on Myspace http://www.myspace.com/avenger1971
Old 08-20-2007, 02:42 PM

Hi, were departing a few weeks later, enjoy your trip!
Old 08-20-2007, 03:33 PM

While in Key West, we did a pirate ship tour and just walked around shopping & bar hopping. There is alot to see and find some Conch Stew. It is fabulous! I forget where we had it.
We've been to Cozumel many, many times & do something different every time. Coming up we are doing the Jeep w/snorkel tour. The Fury Catamaran is a great tour. They throw one heck of a party after the snorkeling. The power snorkel was very fun too. You cover more ground (water) than just snorkeling. The Sea BOND adventure (offered by Royal Caribbean not sure about Carnival) was a blast. It really depend on what you like to do. As avenger said, Passion Island was a beautiful place & it's a good excursion if you just want to lay around & relax. They have great hammocks!
As for dinner, if you booked with a travel agent ask them to call & request a table for 2 or however many there are of you, and they should be able to accomodate you. If you didn't use a travel agent, as soon as you board check your sea pass as to your table assignment. Go to the dining room & find your table. If you aren't happy, go to the pursers desk & ask for what you want. That should be all you need to do. Happy cruising!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 PM

Hi Ally, thanks for your answers!
You talk about Passion island and it seems very beautiful to me, because it is our very first time in Cozumel, the first thing we want to see are the Maya temples. Is it possible to visit both Passion island and the Maya temples in that one day? I guess we have about 8 hours to enjoy Cozumel (it's the 4day cruise with fascination, Miami-Key west-cozumel).

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2007, 06:50 AM

Hi Erik,

We've done kayaking and museum hopping in Key West, as well as walking tours. Enjoyed all of them, but the kayaking in the backwater area was really terrific.

In Cozumel, we've done the BOND adventure, lots of snorkeling, and kayaking in a clear kayak, as well as visiting the Mayan ruins in Tulum. If that's one of your interests, I'd opt for that one first, as there is now not a lot to see under the water in Cozumel. Last year's (or was it two years ago now?) hurricane wiped out most of the coral, unfortunately. During our clear kayak ride, the guide had to throw food into the water to attract the fish; otherwise, although a pleasant paddle, there would have been nothing to see under the water. It's a shame. There are great beaches there, if what you're looking for is relaxation near the beautiful ocean.

Sandy
Old 08-22-2007, 06:33 AM

Has anyone who has recently been to Key West checked out "Peppers of Key West"? I think thats what it was called, at least. It is a hot sauce shop run by two very "spicy" guys who were a blast. I was with my family when I went, and we sat down and they let us try a bunch of different sauces while being very entertaining. We had a great time. And if you like hot sauce, you will not leave empty handed - they had ever type imaginable. Just don't walk in like a tough guy and ask for the hottest stuff they got - they said it's their pet peeve.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:44 AM

Hello,

This is for persons who want to do more in Key West than shop or go to the beach.

Visit the Truman White House. It is a very interesting museum and property, where Harry Truman would work and vacation. Very interesting grounds and pictures of Harry Truman's life and his time as President.

You can walk to the Truman White House from the cruise dock and the visit takes about an hour or so.

Hope that this helps.

Fred
Old 08-24-2007, 05:47 AM

There are a couple of beaches in Key West. You could snorkel from them but you probably wouldn't enjoy it. I don't know how long you are in Key West but there are several snorkel tour operations that get you to some great snorkeling. The Dry Tortuga tour is a full day but it has a beach with some good snorkeling from the beach there. There are also some half day trips that are pretty good.

Cozumel is fun with shopping, eating, snorkeling, beaches and ruins.

Sensation - 2/2007
Carnival Glory - 10/2006
Carnival Triumph - 7/2006
Fantasy - 1/2006
Inspiration - 10/2004
USS O'Callahan
Old 08-25-2007, 05:24 PM

Been to Key West on 4 cruises. Recommend what we did the last time (Dec. 2006). We rented bikes from Paradise Bike Rental and rode all over the island. They will give you a Key West map on your ship and you go from there. Not much traffic, Paradise will give you bike helmets and bike locks. They are located about 2 blocks from the ship dock to the left. Any local you encounter near the dock can give you more specific directions. We had a great time and saw quite a bit and got some exercise. Also gives you a chance to get out of the more touristy areas.

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
bicycle, carnival, cruise, ecstacy, fishers, key, mel, port, rental, schedule, ship, west