Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 02:52 PM

Hello, again;

We will be going on a nine day cruise to the Caribbean in March of 2009. We will be visiting Labadee, Casa de Campo, St. Thomas, and San Juan.

I was wondering if I could ask all of you for your input on a question that my daughter has. She/we were wondering what are some of the better excursions we could consider, and if there are any that are 'must do's'. I think she would like to snorkel. Is that something a 12 year old could do as a first timer? We will be taking our four children plus one friend, so there will be different interests.

I realize that all of you will have different likes and opinions. But we just like to hear the different options. Also, if you could rate the stops, how would you all rate them?

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions. We appreciate your experience and advice.

Thanks and regards,
Mark and Mallory (Mal)

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-08-2008, 05:57 AM
I can't answer about any of your stops other than St Thomas (we just shopped at that stop...oooh boy....fun fun ) BUT...as to the snorkling question for the 12 year old: Absolutely not too young and I'm sure she'll love it! Try and get that worked in at some point on your cruise.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 AM

You're in the Caribbean, snorkeling is a MUST! Casa de Campo and St. Thomas will be your best ports. If they offer a catamaran sail/snorkel for Isla Catalina for your Casa de Campo stop, take that one. The water is crystal clear and lots of fish and coral. Labadee is their private island, great beach day. San Juan is fun place to visit, shopping, old San Juan tour, Bacardi Factory tour-yummy samples, the botanical gardens tour, and the bioluminescents tour (if you're there late at night). St. Thomas take the ferry to St. John and go to Trunk Bay-AWESOME! If you decide to stay on the island Sapphire Beach is good snorkeling if the wind is not blowing too hard, but not good for lots of ammenities and lots of little rocks getting into the water. Coki Beach and Magen's Bay are also good. Trunk Bay is the best! If you daughter doesn't like it, take me, I love snorkeling! Best wishes for a fantastic time!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks, Keith and Penny! We appreciate your help!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:45 AM

If you go to Labadee first you can rent equipment on shore and try-out snorkeling. there is not not a ton to see there but it gives you a feel for the activity and makes your "real" outing more pleasurable. My kids have been snorkeling since they were 6--and they are really tiny people. They have always been accommodated on tours, provided we signed up for excursions without an age restriction (a lot say 6 yrs., some will say older if conditions can be rough)

We take a cab/ferry/cab combination in St. Thomas to Trunk Bay (St. Johns) and you have beach there, snorkeling from shore (easier for kids) concession. St. John is 90% National Park so there is a small admission fee but it is clean and gorgeous. There are many threads on visiting/snorkeling in trunk bay if you use your search key
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Closed Thread