Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Lots of good shopping right at Havensight...Just ask my wife.....the cruise was cheap, the shopping wasn't. A very nice thing to do is walk to the tram that runs to the top of the hill..it's $18 but well worth the sight of the bay below, plus a small restaurant, bar and some local crafts.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Musigal:

I went on an Eastern Caribbean cruise onboard the Carnival Glory in November.

The official name of the place where the Carnival Glory docked at was:

"The West Indies Pier"

As soon as you walk off the ship go through the gate and walk across the street (all within 100 yards), you will be in Havensight. And more specifically you will encounter a series of strip malls which are named "The Havensight Mall". They consist of four long steel structures with several stores contained within (just like any other strip mall). I found the shopping inside of them to be pretty good. Make sure to visit Al Cohen's Mall (which is the building at the other side of the Havensight Mall from the ship, and across another street. The building has a promenent sign that says "Al Cohen's Mall".

I was confused with the Havensight and Charlotte-Amalie names. I later learned from a co-worker, who is a Tomian (native of St. Thomas), that Havensight is just a neighborhood within Charlotte-Amalie. Anyway, dowtown Charlotte-Amalie is just a few miles from Havensight. And just parked outside the security gate of the West Indes Pier, are several taxis who are waiting to take people to dowtown Charlotte-Amalie.

During my cruise I did not have enough time to see downtown. Instead most of my time was spent on my shore-excursion which was a trip to Trunk Bay on St. John. I was told that the shopping in Havensight was just about as good as dowtown, and allot closer to the ship. I would agree that the prices on items sold at Havensight seemed pretty good.

I hope this was some help. Have a good time on your cruise.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:50 PM

I hope your not unlucky enough to have to dock in the lesser know Crown Bay Cruise Pier. The area surrounding the pier is not near as scenic as Charlotte Amalie harbor. Last November our Princess ship docked in Crown Bay and it does not make for a good first impression. I have been to St. Thomas several times on other cruises, always docking in Charlotte Amalie, and even I was dissapointed with Crown Bay. Chances are good that it will be Charlotte Amalie, most are.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 AM

I think Crown Bay used to be the old Navy Pier and Princess has bought/leased it to use for all their ships visiting St Thomas. not for sure if that is the case, just what I was told.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas

Closed Thread

Tags
amalie, carnival, charlotte, cruise, dock, docks, find, glory, havensight, maarten, port, princess, ship, ships, st, thomas