Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2007, 04:04 PM

Hello! Going in October to Cozumel and the only thing I wanna be able to do on this cruise is swim with the dolphins. I noticed they have things like the royal swim and dolphin touch. Which one is best? I know they are all so different in price but they are all an hour- anyone know the difference? I would love to be able to go snorkeling too if there is time.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:04 PM

Hello! Going in October to Cozumel and the only thing I wanna be able to do on this cruise is swim with the dolphins. I noticed they have things like the royal swim and dolphin touch. Which one is best? I know they are all so different in price but they are all an hour- anyone know the difference? I would love to be able to go snorkeling too if there is time.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-19-2007, 11:03 PM

candi,

We´ve been there in April. There are three different dolphin programs.

Dolphin Encounter: you stand in the water on a platform and you can touch the dolphins

Dolphin Swim (45min): you stand on the platform touch the dolphins and you can hold on the breat fins and the dolphin is towing you. There´s also some time to snorkel and watch the dolphin under the water.

Royal Dolphin Swim (60min): Dolphin Swim with 2 dolphins, I saw people holding on to the dorsal fin of both dolphins and standing on them.

The lagoon at Chankanaab Park is right next to the dolphin area and a pretty place to swim and snorkel (we didn´t). We walked through the Maya artifacts path which was nice too. The park suffered a lot of damage by Wilma and most of the trees are down. Anyway the park is still great and they are working a lot to get all back again.

Carmen

SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN
This Historic Landmark needs your help!
Find out what you can do at
www.save-the-delta-queen.org
Old 05-20-2007, 09:16 AM

Does anyone know how the snorkeling is in the park?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:50 PM

I'm not an animal rights wacko or anything but I'll post the Humane Society's take on it below. The more popular this become the more facilities are built. That means more captive dlophins every year. If you're doing because you love dolphins, think about it first.

Cheers, Neil

www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/humane_society_maga...th_the_dolphins.html
Old 05-21-2007, 06:33 AM
Banned

tesi, I've snorkeled at Chankanaab National Park several times in 20 years. If you P.M. I will explain it to you in detail.
A'ndrea
Old 06-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

we went to Chankanaab last sept. it USED TO BE
a nice beach park...now it is a overpriced wreck.
taxi cost $15 total for 1-4 people each way and there are plenty of cabs at all the tourist beaches. the problem came when we paid $14 at the gate to get in ( we had our own snorkel gear or it would have been more).
After paying we were told that the hurricane had hit them hard and that the dolphins were gone, the reef was gone, most of the underwater statues were gone, the nature trail was gone, the native art replicas were gone, the park was still being rebuilt and was basically just a beach with chairs and hammocks...they didnt tell you this untill AFTER you paid ( i researched the place before i went and never saw a thing about this on thier site or any other)
I joined this forum to warn people about this ripoff...so once again I will repeat Chankanaab is a ripoff...i heard they got thier dolphin tour back but the reef will never be the same...the only reef worth seeing is offshore and requires a boat tour...Chankanaab didnt even have corona beer at thier overpriced $3 beer stand...I snorkeled the entire area and didnt see much of anything...we used the hammocks for an hour and left...it was cheaper going on our own instead of the ship's tour but definately not worth the $60. try paradise beach instead.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned

Wise2u, I'm totally saddened by your post. What a complete shame.

I hope that Chankanaab restores itself and comes back bigger and better. I know there's nothing that can repair the reefs. But, hopefully, time will heal the park, the nature trails and the enjoyable snorkeling/swimming my family has enjoyed there over the years.

Thank you for the heads-up wise2u.

A'ndrea
Old 06-09-2007, 07:15 AM
Banned

your welcome, I would hate to see anyone disappointed like we were after reading such great reviews of the park. Thanks for mentioning an alternative beach "punta sur"
I never heard of that one.
As a snorkeling fan I will probably go on a boat excursion with 2 or 3 stops the next time we go to cozumel...but if the weather is rough it's nice to have alternatives. It is a shame that most all of the near shore reef was destroyed, I am a fan of the economical snorkel from the beach excursions.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Banned

Punta Sur is another park. Not as fancy as Chank., but secluded, peaceful, quiet, serene. Now that Chankanaab is sort of in a shambles after Wilma came through, everyone will flock to Punta Sur.

I was trying to keep that one my little secret. Oh well.
Have a good day.
A'ndrea

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, chaakanaab, chankanaab, dolphin, national, paradise, park, punta, reef, review, reviews, snorkel, sur, time, versus