Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2006, 11:08 AM

We leave Galveston on the Rhapsody of the Seas in early May, and I know there was tremendous damage to Cozumel, including the destruction of their cruise docks, so I hear that we'll have to tender in when we arrive at Cozumel. Does anyone know how smoothly (or not smoothly) that process is going these days?
Also, has anyone visited Playa Mia Beach Resort? Any updates on its condition?

Thanks!

Edit: Moved to Caribbean Port Chat. RF

Old 02-26-2006, 04:39 PM

We tendered in from our cruise on 1/22-29 and it went very smoothly, not long waits either leaving the ship or returning.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Stopped in Cozumel on 12.08/05 via Enchantment of the Seas-Cozumel was pretty much still devastated and in need of much reconstruction-however San Miguel was in good shape and mostly open-Carlos and Charlies was obliterated.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:40 PM

We were in Cozumel on Dec 15, 2005. Having been there in Jan, 05, we were able to recognize the destruction by Wilma. But I still think it is the best port in the Western Carribbean. The progress accomplished after only 6 weeks was amazing (I live just north of New Orleans, and 6 months later shows little progress). We have taken the off road jeep excursion both trips and thoroughly enjoy everything about it. Plus the tour guides have been topnotch. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 03-04-2006, 04:06 PM

having cruised 5 previous times, my tendering experience regardless of port has all to due with how many ships are in port that day, and how rough the seas are as it is harder to get people on and off the tender boats in rougher seas.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:13 PM

about playa mia- there are many options available to experience playa mia. snorkel beach break, playa mia beach break, etc. If all you want is the beach break than i sugguest you get off the ship and taxi to playa mia and pay the small admission fee for non drinkers and the open bar admission for the drinkers, and also ther is a buffet available for additional money.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:44 AM

We were in Cozumel last month. There were 6 ships docked there and all were tendering. The only pier left is being used for tender ships and the ferry taking you across to Playa Del Carmen. The shoreline in Coaumel is still pretty bad. Tried to snorkel @ Corona beach and the reef system has definitely been compromised. The downtown area is backed to normal operations...shopping..bars..restaurants, but if you are going there to dive or snorkel, I suggest you do not do it from the shore. take a chater out to a reef.

Closed Thread