Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 11:32 AM

How careful do we need to be in ports? what ID needs to be carried? what do we do with ID, credit cards, cash ect when we are snorkleing? Just me and hubby so no tag teaming with friends as they had suggesed!
Will be visiting Roatan, Belize and Cozumel
Old 12-31-2007, 03:32 PM

Good question. We would also be interested in the answer as we are sailing on the Jewel in a couple of weeks time.

Bryan
Old 12-31-2007, 03:51 PM

They make waterproof containers you wear around your neck for such things at the dive shops. Most people just lock everything up in the cabin safe except a credit card, an ID and a little spending money. For such small items a simple ziplock baggie will do.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-01-2008, 12:08 AM

bac771, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

It also may depend on the cruise line for what ID is required to re-board without delay. I know that Carnival also requires their Sail & Sign Card. They encode your picture on it, and it must be inserted (swiped) every time you leave or re-board the ship.

It is my opinion to always be careful in ports and not flash money or expensive jewelry. Of the ports you mentioned, Cozumel would be the least one of concern.

Dwayne
Old 01-02-2008, 03:16 PM
You should be able to get a water proof pouch on the ship, they are not too expensive.

I would stay away from Belize City, even some of the people from Belize don't like to go on there.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 01-04-2008, 05:47 PM

I would agree with Larry re Belize City. When you get off the ship you are in a compound that is set up like a bazaar. You can see lots and spend money there! If you want to leave I would suggest an excursion, immediately outside the compound is not appealing. One couple on our ship (2 years ago) went out and turned back after 4 blocks - too many beggars, not a plesant place to walk and a police officer suggested going back too!

As for ID this year I noticed all ports suggested ship card AND government issued photo id. We needed it a San Juan, St. THomas and Nassau. They only looked at those people over 18. This is new as in the past we only needed the ship card. I was also told that by next year they may want passports, not any other photo id (e.g, drivers license not enough). Things are changing!

Old 01-05-2008, 07:57 AM

Hello I would have to say that Cozumel is proabably one of the safest ports you'll stop at and as far as excursions what kinds of things do you like to do if you like beaches, ATVs, fishing or just shopping. ATVs is always a fun excursion and I have done it a few times but thats more like because of my particular likes. I love rompping and went on an ATV excursion in Cozumel it was great. Did a cave tubing excursion that was awesome in belize. Guess it just depends on what kinds of things you like to do. In cozumel I am looking forward to going deep sea fishing next time.

Closed Thread