Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 PM

Hi,
First time poster here.

With a first cruise coming in January 2008, I'd like to pursue doing business at the ports of call. Likely in seminar format, I wonder how I go about doing this at Labadee, Haiti.

How does one rent a conference room? Are Haitian civilians able to come onto the resort property or is there a fee to do so (i.e. "day pass")

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide. It would be good to have some background information with which to contact/negotiate with Royal Caribbean if need be.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned

You will be required to reveal that you are doing business on your customs form upon re-entry to the US. I don't know where you are from. It may be different if your home country is not the US. I would go online with customs to read the regulations about doing business when using a cruiseline for transportation. There may be some kind of tax, etc.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:18 PM

Thank you, SuzyCruise! I'm from Canada but your comments remain helpful as I have to board/debark in Miami and that may affect my intentions.

Anyone else with some additional input?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

If you are not taking sales material with you, or buying products in bulk at home, they will never know what you were doing. Many people travel with a laptop which doesn't prove you're doing business. You should be fine and not have to raise a red flag or look suspicious.
I'm with you. I'd like to know from someone who knows for sure what the rules are.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by malted:
Hi,
First time poster here.

With a first cruise coming in January 2008, I'd like to pursue doing business at the ports of call. Likely in seminar format, I wonder how I go about doing this at Labadee, Haiti.

How does one rent a conference room? Are Haitian civilians able to come onto the resort property or is there a fee to do so (i.e. "day pass")

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide. It would be good to have some background information with which to contact/negotiate with Royal Caribbean if need be.
Sorry to rain on the business parade, but there are no conference rooms or business dealings in Labadee. Labadee is a beach. A big beach. There are bars and buffets for the barbecue lunch. There is a place to get your hair braided. There is a marketplace for the locals to sell their souvenirs. There is a zip line. There are water sports. There are local bands wandering the premises playing music. Lababee is for the cruise ship passengers to enjoy the day. Only employees or authorized vendors are allowed on the property.

Forget it and take a day off at least once during your cruise. Or better yet, why not take the whole 7 days off and leave the business at home. That is what a cruise is supposed to be.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 PM

Even at a more feasible port, I cannot imagine advertising, obtaining a place, preparing and presenting during the part day in port. Just curious what kind of seminar you were thinking of and why you thought it would work in ports with a part day call.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:05 PM

Also, since this will be your first cruise, you may not be aware that you often get to a port late or get off the ship late (especially a tendered port), and have to be back on an hour or so before the ship sails. In a Hawaiian tendered port recently, we personally did not get off the ship until three hours or more after it had docked despite our best intentions. The whole idea of a seminar in a port sounds like such a hastle.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:12 PM

* SuzyCruise...
Yes, I'll have a laptop with me too as this is a business trip with the company with which I work. I just wanted to handle my own business on the side which is why this approach is being considered.

* Dave Beers...
Thanks for what seems to be first-hand experience, Dave. While I'd heard about the marketplace (two, apparently) your additional information is helpful. And while I forgot to include "please don't chastise my choice" in the initial post I do appreciate your concern. This does happen to be a business trip that's taking place on an obnoxiously large cruise ship (Freedom of the Seas).

* SD Cruiser...
Since I'm familiar with the two other ports of call (save Mexico) and have contacts there that can help with organization, I thought I just might be able to wing it. You are right, however, and it would still be an interesting task if I'm able to get it organized. Knowing that getting off the ship is not a scheduled thing is a *very* important tidbit.

Thank you ALL for helping out this cruise newbie!

Closed Thread

Tags
advertisement, labadee