Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 09:49 AM

the stops on our cruise in January are Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and cozumel are we better off buying our excursions when we get there if there is something we decide we are interested in only because they seem awful expensive through the carnival website.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:49 AM

the stops on our cruise in January are Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and cozumel are we better off buying our excursions when we get there if there is something we decide we are interested in only because they seem awful expensive through the carnival website.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:38 AM

You can purchase excursions either way. I highly recommend not doing anything on your own in Jamaica. If you use your "Find" feature in the upper left hand corner, and type in your ports, it will pull up all the posts made about them. There are many suggestions for each of your ports, and you may find a vendor that interests you. Always keep in mind, you have to be back to the ship on time, they will not wait for you if you're not on a ship's excursion.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:32 AM

check out shoretrips.com. They may not be less expensive than the cruiseline, but the quality of the product is so superior. I second Penny--don't go off on your own in Jamaica. I use the cruiseline tours there. You do not want to get stranded there!
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-04-2008, 02:49 PM

James, I 3rd the Jamaica suggestions. And don't let the caby's fool you. The cruise ship MC guy will fill you in on them. A 'must' excursion? Hit the Sting Ray's in Cayman, unbelievable and don't be afraid of them. They're like dogs. Enjoy.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Administrator

quote:
the stops on our cruise in January are Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and cozumel are we better off buying our excursions when we get there

It is perfectly fine to book your own tours on Cozumel and Grand Cayman. They are both great places with reliable tour operators. Jamaica is another story. I've done private tours in Jamaica, but I have been there many times and was quite restrictive in where we went - and I knew the lay of the land so I knew if the driver was getting off the beaten path. I prefer ship's tours there.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:57 PM

As has been said, Cozumel and Grand Cayman are perfectly fine for self excursions from my experience as well. I would stick to the Carnival excursions for Ocho Rios. I think this is the same excursion I did. It should give you a feel for the island while hitting some highlights.

I think they are wrong about the activity level to climb the falls though.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
buying, cruise, excursions, port, ports