Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2002, 11:11 AM

Has anyone taken either of these 2 shore excursions? Would like to know more about the pro's and con's before I sign up. Will be on St. Thomas in November [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2002, 11:11 AM

Has anyone taken either of these 2 shore excursions? Would like to know more about the pro's and con's before I sign up. Will be on St. Thomas in November [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 09:24 PM

Karen,
Just got back from Celebrity Millinnium and St.Thomas Bob was great!!!!! You must try this as it is an experience of a lifetime. You just get in the water and hold your breath long enough to stick your head in the bubble. Once inside you can breath normally, although it did take some time to get my ears to pop. You are taken about 10 feet under the surface and proceed to ride it like a scooter. Trained divers are in the water with you so there is nothing to fear. Trust me on this one it is not to be missed!!!!!
Cathy
Old 10-23-2002, 10:57 AM

We'll be in St. Thomas in November too...Trying to decide what to do there as well. When and which ship? We are on Golden Princess sailing Nov. 16
E-mail me at jensruds@sasktel.net
Old 10-30-2002, 02:30 PM

HI I WILL BE IN ST THOMAS ALSO IN NOVEMBER IM GOING ON THE CARNIVAL PRIDE ON THE 16TH I HAVE BEEN TO ST THOMAS GOT TO TELL YOU IT WAS GREAT
Old 07-18-2005, 08:04 AM

After my family and I took the BOB Underwater Adventure tour in St. Thomas, we all agreed that it would have been better and cheaper to have taken a snorkeling tour instead. Thatís mostly what you do in the BOB tour, anyway.
The actual ride is quite nice once you are in the scooter, but the tour program is poorly thought out. As there are far more people than scooters three groups have to take turns on the BOBs. The ride in the scooter lasts
only 20 minutes, hardly enough to go a hundred yards from the boat and back. Also, the scooters are past their prime and some people find them hard to control, bump into each other, or go in circles. Itís hard to watch and
enjoy the marine life when you are busy trying to steer and operate a vehicle you are not familiar with UNDERWATER, with divers communicating with you in diver sign language the rudiments of which you have just been told
along with many other instructions. Itís not for children of any age, but some adults in the tour could not get into the scooter either, for it requires a fair amount of dexterity underwater. A lengthy briefing on how to enter, exit, and operate the BOB scooter and the deployment of the scooters takes much
time, and getting the people in and out of the scooters takes as long as the ride itself if not longer. Itís a tall order for many, but even if you manage to assimilate the instructions, by the time you have figured out how to ride the BOB straight and you are getting into it, itís over.

St. Thomas has excellent spots to snorkel but the one chosen for the BOB experience was not one of them. The water was not clear and neither the fish nor the vegetation was what I expected to see in a Caribbean coral reef. It was nothing to write home about. In better tours the crew puts food in the water to attract fish often with spectacular results, but that was not the case in the BOB tour.

In sum: donít bother. A snorkeling tour without gimmicks is much better value for money and more and easier fun.

Closed Thread

Tags
adve, adventure, adventures, aquarium, boat, bob, bobbing, caribbean, con, mini, playas, reviews, st, stthomas, thomas, underwater, water