Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 01:15 PM

It is a natural defense, the only one a stingray has. In one of my diving courses, they showed a stingray' accuracy. A diver touch a stingray on his back with a spear gun (not loaded) and the barb went right through the middle of the spear gun. I stepped on one in Sanibel Island, it is extremely painful. I didn't know the barb had broken off in my foot, but 7 years later, they removed 9" of barb. I can only imagine being hit in the heart. The barb went in through my big toe and up through to my ankle, the swelling and pain was immediate. Having it enter directly into the heart, it must have been an immediate shock of swelling and poison, what a horrible way to go. My heart goes out to his surviving family. I do hope they choose another career path. As far as the rays in Stingray city, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I also wouldn't try to aggrevate or scare one either. May he rest in peace.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:04 PM

Hi Sydney,

I've been "swimming" with the stingrays in G C twice and loved it. They are turly fine animals. Just don't do somehting stupid, like grab their tail, and you should be okay. By the way both time I fed they and encounter no problems other than being covered with stingray. It was GREAT. Going back this Dec. Enjoy Life

Caseyg

Caseyg
Old 09-09-2006, 08:57 AM

We did stingray city in May 2006. It was amazing you should definatly do it. I felt very safe. The stingrays are very friendly.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

I was there on labor day but went for a free shore snorkel instead of risking the rays, even before we learned of the crock hunters unlikely death by stingray i had my reservations. Friends had told us that they were on one of the first tours out one morning and that the rays were large and very aggressive she said they overwhelmed her in a feeding frenzy and since no other boats were there yet to feed them there were way too many there competing for the food. she climbed out after just a few minutes, her husband stayed in and when he got out his back was covered with hickeys and bruises from the hungry rays. this is why many islands dont allow people to feed the fish...it makes them big and aggressive. I may try it on my next trip there but only under the right conditions.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
So Steve Irwin the "Crocodile Hunter" died from a Sting Ray barb going into his chest. Does anyone have any advice about going snorkeling with sting rays? My husband and I are booked on a trip in Grand Cayman to go to "Sting Ray City". Um, not so sure now.
I don't want to repeat a lot of what others have said, but I will add this:

We did the Stingray City excursion through Carnival the day after Steve Irwin's death. There were a lot of cancellations due to his death, and I have to admit the circumstances gave me pause. However, we had done a similar excursion last year and figured it was safe enough.

It was fine. . . .The stingrays on these bars are pretty tame as they are so used to people. One of our guides kept pulling one HUGE one out of the water so people could take photos with and of it. That one, in particular, was huge (fin-span of about 5 feet.)and smacked me across the back with his tail once.

If you don't know about the "stingray shuffle," make sure you have someone show you. Basically, they tell you that when you are walking in the water to shuffle your feet in the sand so that you don't accidentally step on a ray.

From what I understood about Irwin is that they think the ray probably was threatened having Irwin on top of him and the cameras around him. They also say that Irwin probably caused his own demise as he pulled the barb out of his heart (There is video of this.). Had the barb stayed in until they could have gotten him to help, he might have had a chance.

I wouldn't cancel your excursion. Just be careful.

Chris

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 09-15-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by janlou37:
We did Stingray City last year and IslandCruz is right, they are very used to humans. There are boatloads out there all the time and the guides were handling them and we were too. We enjoyed the interaction, even my son who was 7. You might feel some suction when you feed them, they say it's like a hickey!! (I didn't feed them!) And when they glide past their wings skim over over your legs and sides, bit weird at first. I am sure by the time you go the guides will be able to answer any queries you have, they are very knowledgeable. Enjoy.
I just came back from doing an excursion with the stingrays, I was kissing and touching them and everything, but Steve's death happen after we came back from our cruise and swam with the stingrays, probally if I had knew about it before hand I would have been apprehensive about doing it.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mooneydiva:
quote:
So Steve Irwin the "Crocodile Hunter" died from a Sting Ray barb going into his chest. Does anyone have any advice about going snorkeling with sting rays? My husband and I are booked on a trip in Grand Cayman to go to "Sting Ray City". Um, not so sure now.
Did so happen were you on a cruise boat with VIP productions taking pictures with the stingray. I went two weeks ago book my excursion at the port the excursion was fine but I paid $40.00 to heave my pictures sent to me nad no pictures as of yet. The tour guide gave me a card but I lost it on the ship or left it on the ship but I remember him saying VIP productions do you think he was on the boat you were on doing pictures. Nice looking younger guy he worked with two other young black men as well on this boat??? I just want my pictures I paid for if you have any information please try to help me.

I don't want to repeat a lot of what others have said, but I will add this:

We did the Stingray City excursion through Carnival the day after Steve Irwin's death. There were a lot of cancellations due to his death, and I have to admit the circumstances gave me pause. However, we had done a similar excursion last year and figured it was safe enough.

It was fine. . . .The stingrays on these bars are pretty tame as they are so used to people. One of our guides kept pulling one HUGE one out of the water so people could take photos with and of it. That one, in particular, was huge (fin-span of about 5 feet.)and smacked me across the back with his tail once.

If you don't know about the "stingray shuffle," make sure you have someone show you. Basically, they tell you that when you are walking in the water to shuffle your feet in the sand so that you don't accidentally step on a ray.

From what I understood about Irwin is that they think the ray probably was threatened having Irwin on top of him and the cameras around him. They also say that Irwin probably caused his own demise as he pulled the barb out of his heart (There is video of this.). Had the barb stayed in until they could have gotten him to help, he might have had a chance.

I wouldn't cancel your excursion. Just be careful.

Chris

Old 09-15-2006, 01:19 PM

I don't blame you for second guessing the excusion. My husband and I are going on the Carnival Miracle in October and we were planning the same thing and now we have decided now to. You just never know especially with so many other swimmers next to eachother it only takes a second for something to scare it and you could be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I dunno maybe it's just me being a little to caucious...

Quote:
Originally posted by SydneyMVK:

Caribbean Hotel Reviews
Old 09-17-2006, 02:03 AM

No, you are right to post-pone it untill another cruise. Take some time to learn about them is what I am doing. You should not be in a situation that is uncomfortable in any way on your Cruise and Vacation. We have an aquarium here and I am going to go see them and pet the litte ones first before I do it. A huge one scared me bad at Trunk Bay once..I was the first one on the snorkel trail that day, I snorkeled over it by only 2 feet, was buried in the sand, It only scared the crap out of me, as I did it. I am glad it did not throw it's Barb up as I was directly over it. Would be a rare thing..I guess it was sleeping. Lifeguard said just don't step on them.

Again, just do something without stress and worry. I can highly recommend Abank's a block or so up from the tender pier(great view of the ship) for some snorkeling and the best Conch Fritters in the Caribbean! Seven Mile beach is beautiful, the absolutely clearest water you will ever see. And of course you can always go to Hell
Old 09-17-2006, 05:13 PM

We went to Stingray City last year and it was so much fun. I hate to think of anyone missing the experience. However, I also understand your concerns. On 9/5/06, cnn.com had an article regarding Stingray tours. The website is:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/09/05...our/index.html

The stingrays we encountered were docile and would rub against our legs like a kitten! There were probably a couple hundred tourists at Stingray City when we were there and I didn't hear of any problems. We booked our excursion on the ship, ordered and paid for our video, and received it within a couple weeks. Nita, I'm sorry you had the bad experience with the video. I just checked the tour company that the ship booked with and it wasn't VIP Productions. I was hoping I could give you contact information. Sorry!

Nadine

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, arrest, bite, cardiac, cruise, die, georgia, heavenly, hickey, hooker, infection, person, ray, rays, snorkeling, sting, stingray