Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 AM

Bob E (Berick1234), have a marvelous cruise! Bon Voyage
Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I have seen people in bathrobes going thru the buffet line
Me too. It's like they got lost on their way to the spa. The one's at breakfast time are the worst. "Hello! This isn't your home and this isn't the breakfast nook by the kitchen!"

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 AM

On a recent Holiday cruise, we had people going through the buffet line smoking and putting their ashes on the floor. Later, we saw smashed cigarette butts on the floor. Did dignity and self respect die with VCR's?? Any cruise that you go on, you will see inappropriate dress. I blame most of it on the parents. I see too many kids being allowed to wear T-shirts, shorts, bathing suits, tank tops, baseball caps (in a myriad of directions), extremely baggy (Spongebob Squarepant underwear exposing) pants, sweat pants (a girl no older than 10 had a pair on that read "Spank Me" on the rear end), skullcaps or tobaggans, shredded jeans, etc.etc.
When you eat in a cruise ship dining room, it is tantamount to being a guest in someone's house. Often I have heard people say, "I paid for this vacation so I should be able to wear whatever I want." Sure you paid for it but that doesn't give you the privilege of ruining the experience for everyone else. I will be welcoming my first child in a little over 3 months and I can't wait to take her on her first cruise but, rest assured, my daughter will always dress accordingly when she is dining as a guest.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 AM

Perhaps we did something right: my kids are really aghast when they see a guy in cargo shorts in the dining room on formal night and think that people in robes and night clothes in the windjammer getting coffee are a riot. It bugs me too but they really get bent out of shape about it. We live in rural Minnesota where you could go years without wearing anything but jeans (unless someone dies, and funerals are getting less formal too) and they look forward to dressing up and being cute on the cruise, and are pretty dolled up when it is not formal night.

My oldest theorizes that the faded t-shirt/cargo short crowd on formal night probably doesn't tip well either--the whole my vacation and I paid a lot for it already attitude. She does food service and can usually spot the poor tippers from a long way off.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-13-2009, 08:22 AM

I was on Caribbean Princess in May, and granted it was a short cruise, but "formal" night had a few couples walking into the dining room in short, t-shirts and sandals. After a few minutes, people started getting turned away from the dining room, but those first few couples were there.

I didn't another short cruise on Holland America's Eurodam in September, and didn't see really inappropriate dress in the dining room on any night, much less formal night.

Sandy
Old 01-13-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drlivingston:
Often I have heard people say, "I paid for this vacation so I should be able to wear whatever I want." Sure you paid for it but that doesn't give you the privilege of ruining the experience for everyone else. I will be welcoming my first child in a little over 3 months and I can't wait to take her on her first cruise but, rest assured, my daughter will always dress accordingly when she is dining as a guest.
I guess I'm one of the crown who doesn't share the same viewpoint. I don't exactly dress in the sloppy way other have described but when I'm on vacation & I've paid my way I certainly don't dress to please others in the dining room. I don't follow their prescribed dress code either but dress in a neat way that satisfies myself & if others don't like my attire, then let them look the other way.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Administrator

We've gotten off track on this thread, and are now into the always testy ground of cruise ship attire. Let's get back on topic: that being not offending the citizens of your ports-of-call, to whom you haven't paid your way.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 AM

You are most correct, Dave. It is all summed up with, "When in Rome... Do as the Romans." If a particular country or principality has a dress code (whether it is enforced or not) it should be followed. Small islands are still sovereign nations and have the ability and right to institute and enforce whatever dress code that they deem appropriate. My earlier post was meant to be slightly whimsical but if I wore a towel around town, I would not complain about a ticket. I would pay it and consider it a lesson learned.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:05 PM

After reading the article I can understand some of their concerns but the way I interpret it, it was against the extreme dress & not the average tourist in a bathing suit on the way to a beach.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Dress properly in Grenada, get fresh nutmeg there and have a great time....Happy sailing...

Bob E....

-19 here this morning, 45 below windchill, 5 inches of new snow....DARN, I picked the wrong week to go on my cruise...4 days to go....

Closed Thread

Tags
anti, beach, bikini, code, cruise, dress, dressing, exposure, grenada, grenadadressing, indecent, regulations, restaurant, ship, thong