Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Don't wander too far off the beach in Grenada wearing just your bathing suit. The island's police have begun enforcing a law against inappropriate dress. The law allows for fines and prison terms in the extreme, but for the most part the police have just been ordering people to cover up. Cruise ship passengers have been directed to return to the ship and change.

Know anybody who for some irrational reason likes to show their underwear with low-hanging pants? No dice! Pull the pants up or get back on the ship!

Frankly I like this. It is their home after all, and who wants a bunch of tourists wandering around town in bikinis and bathing trunks?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 AM
I agree with you Dave
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 01-11-2009, 11:22 AM

It sounds a little to restrictive for my liking. I often just wear my bathing suit (with a T shirt) off the ship to get me to the beach & from what you indicating I'd now have to wear shorts!
I've got a feeling that this practice will soon be relaxed when they begin to realize people will be avoiding the place in favor of more less restrictive vacation spots and in this economy no one can afford to lose any business.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Administrator

I don't know how specific they are being. I'd think a man wearing a t-shirt and trunk style bathing suit with pockets is fine. I wear bathing suits that are indistinguishable from most shorts. I believe they are more concerned with people in speedos and bikinis roaming the streets.

As I said earlier - it is their country. I assume they have thought this through to include the ramifications.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RichC:

I've got a feeling that this practice will soon be relaxed when they begin to realize people will be avoiding the place in favor of more less restrictive vacation spots and in this economy no one can afford to lose any business.
JMHO
It may be like Bermuda where your shorts have to be a certain length etc...
I think if you are in another Country you should abide by their rules or do not go
In N.A. the dress codes here are so relaxed bordering on indecent exposure
I for one do not want to see someone's under garments, their navel or B*** crack

What ever happened to dressing appropriately ???
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Old 01-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LHT28:
quote:

JMHO
It may be like Bermuda where your shorts have to be a certain length etc...
I think if you are in another Country you should abide by their rules or do not go
In N.A. the dress codes here are so relaxed bordering on indecent exposure
I for one do not want to see someone's under garments, their navel or B*** crack

What ever happened to dressing appropriately ???

It could be similar. I'd be really ticked if I had gone to the beach & were doing a little last minute shopping upon returning to be told I had to change first. We've never had problems in Bermuda doing such.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Dave I am with you on this one. It may come as a shock to some people but you dont look as good walking down a city street in your bathing suit as you think. I think it is just lack of respect for the country to not obey they rules and regulations.
you would never wear a cocktail dress to church, why would someone wear a bathing suit shopping.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Administrator

To me it simply isn't proper to expect a country to relax their standards for public comportment in the name of the tourist dollar. It is sort of like asking the population to prostitute themselves for the larger good. Not everyone on Grenada earns a living from tourists.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:57 PM

I don't blame them for having some sort of dress code. We had to pass an anti-thong law here. It seems it's always people wearing skimpy clothes that shouldn't be.

Dwayne
Old 01-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Quote:

It could be similar. I'd be really ticked if I had gone to the beach & were doing a little last minute shopping upon returning to be told I had to change first. We've never had problems in Bermuda doing such.
You went shopping in swimwear & they did not ticket you?
When we were in Bermuda many years ago we saw the police give a guy a ticket because his shorts were not the proper length.
That may have changed now.

FUTURE CRUISES:

Closed Thread

Tags
anti, beach, bikini, code, cruise, dress, dressing, exposure, grenada, grenadadressing, indecent, regulations, restaurant, ship, thong