Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 02:48 PM

Here I am again, after the first of the year, "asking" if anyone has been to Tortola within the last 6 months? If so, would you please let me know what you think of the island?

If you cruised, and went on the Carnival Liberty, please let me know what you thought about this ship?

brneyes
Old 01-10-2008, 08:34 PM

Me and my husband sailed on the Carnival Liberty last February, we went on the 8 day Eastern Caribbean and Tortola was one of the ports, our trip was very disrupted by the amount of rain we encountered on most of the islands that we visited, as I remember Tortola was nice, we did the Island tour. The Liberty ship was very nice you will love the big screen TV located above the Lido deck the food was very good, I recently cruised on the newer ship the Freedom and in my opinion I think the food was very dissapointing. Hope you enjoy your selves and I hope this helped
Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 AM

I was in Tortola this past September and it was my favorite port of the trip. There is very little near the port itself - just a street market (but it was worth checking out). We decided to take a cab to the other side of the island and spend the day at Cane Garden Bay. The ride up and over the mountain to get to the other side is a little bit insane, but it's well worth it once you arrive. It's one of those beaches you see in magazines - the mountains surround you to form a crescent shaped beach, with crystal clear waters and an amazing view out to sea with islands in the distance. There are a few vendors located along the beach, so you can get some food or gifts. It is free to get onto the beach, but you have to pay a few dollars if you want a chair. We got there early and had the place to ourselves until around 10:30 or so, when it started to get a bit more crowded (but nothing terrible). I would definitely recommend that. However, that was the only time I have been to Tortola, so there may be other great places to check out as well.

Do a Google search for Cane Garden Bay - there are a bunch of sites that have pictures and describe the beach and what is available on it.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:48 AM

We were in Tortola about 12 months ago (on the Zuiderdam). I agree with the previous post that there is nothing to see or do near the port in Road Town. The few shops are unremarkable and relatively expensive. It is not scenic at all in comparison to other islands. If I had it to do over, I would have booked an excursion.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Thank you for your input on the Liberty.

Yes, I have done several cruises in the Winter months, and "discovered" that either here at home, or in the Caribbean, there was bad weather. That is why I booked for the end of March.

brneyes
Old 01-11-2008, 03:33 PM
brneyes-We will be in Tortola in 3 weeks aboard the Gem. It wi;ll be our second time in 13 months and we are very much looking forward to it. This year we will visit Pusser's Landing and making a stop at Boomba's Shack for a cocktail! Cane Garden Bay will be a revisit too!
Tortola is wonderfully laid back and a most friendly island with great scenery. It has a true pirate heritage and well worth exploring further!

BillyBuzzy
Old 01-12-2008, 11:55 AM

If you're going to Tortolla you gotta hit the beaches!! Some on the island are great, the sites are just beautiful and the water is so clear! Cane Garden Bay is gorgeous, as the previous posters mentioned.

If I were going, I'd book a catarmaran sail and snorkel excurion to Jost Van Dyke. They may offer an excursion there from your ship if not you can book independantly. On Jost, be sure to visit the world famous Soggy Dollar Bar and Foxy's. Soggy Dollar is on White Bay, a little piece of Heaven on earth! Try thier famous painkiller drink and find a palm tree shaded hammock. The bar got the name because there is no dock, you have to anchor the boat and swim up to the beach bar with your soggy dollars. The sand is so white it's almost blinding and the water is so clear and idyllic, just beautiful.

Another idea is to take an excursion to the Baths in Virgin Gorda. There is always an excurion offered for this one with almost every ship. Never been there but hear it's great. Large Boulders on the beach.

Here's a picture of the beach in front of the Soggy dollar bar on Jost Van Dyke looking out to Tortolla in the distance. This was taken this past August. We stayed on the islands for a week and we were in Heaven!!!, You're going to love it, if you like beaches/ snorkeling and the like. The Virgin Islands are my personal favorite of all the Caribbean Islands.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 AM

Oh, thank you for posting what information you did about Tortola. I'm getting MORE "excited" now.

Do you remember how much you paid for the taxi to Cane Garden Bay? When you are ready to leave the beach, will there be a taxi that will take you back to the ship, or will the same one come back and pick you up, if you ask?

I will try to check out the Cane Garden Bay website on Google also.

brneyes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:57 AM

I think we paid $8 per person, each way, to get to Cane Garden Bay. If I'm wrong, I'm not wrong by much. It's about a 15-20 minute ride.

When we went, there were cabs waiting to take us back. I would double check with the cabbie - maybe you can arrange a specific pick up time. Just be sure to leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship - just in case. There seemed to be only one way back, so if there is a delay, you could be in trouble.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 AM

billybuzzy, if you "think" of anything about Tortola, that you "think" I might be interested in (yes, I KNOW you do not know me, but that is OK ), after you get back from your trip, please let me know.

Thanks.
brneyes

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, beaches, bvi, cane, catarmaran, cruise, port, review, reviews, road, taxi, tortola, tortolabvi, tortolla, town