Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Has anyone rented a car in St. Maarten? It seems to be fairly inexpensive, and can be picked up right at the cruise port.
I've heard the traffic can be very heavy in town and there's no parking.
Just wondered as I'd love to tool around and ultimately go to the beach. If it's another 20 to park it the beach, it doesn't make any sense.
I assume they drive on the left?

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 08-08-2010, 09:55 PM

They drive on the right. The last time I rented a jeep the cost was $85 for the day - 4 people in the jeep. Allow plenty of time to return your vehicle because traffic can really slow you down.

Sonny

Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 AM

I believe there's only one main road that goes around the island and traffic is horrendous. You also have to wait for goats, chickens, and cattle.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 PM

Here is where we rented our vehicle...

This is one of the vehicles we rented...

We also rented ATV's one year...

I'll be in St. Maarten in October and will be renting a jeep again. It's worth any traffic they throw at me.

Sonny

Old 08-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Thanks so much. I did find a site that says cows have the right of way...
I do think I'll rent a car as a compact is only about 25 bucks.
We are there until 9 at night, so maybe the traffic will be lighter..the rental agency is open until 10.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-10-2010, 04:53 PM

Hi Poormom,

Weíve rented a car several times while in St. Maarten. Itís very easy to pick one up from the 5 or 6 rental companies right at the pier. When you walk to the end of the main pier they are all lined up along the right side of the parking lot just past the tour buses.

We like to be one of the first ones off of the ship, grab a car and head to Orient Beach. Kon Tiki is a great place to park away from the tour bus drop offs. We usually stay there until after lunch and then head back to town. I like to return the car and then take the water taxi downtown so that I donít have to deal with the traffic.

If you decide to do the island loop it may be better to head towards Marigot in the morning and then return through Oyster Pond in the afternoon. As stated above, the traffic through Philipsburg to Marigot can get quite busy.

Enjoy your cruise!
2004 Voyager, Adventure
2005 Explorer
2006 Brilliance
2009 Liberty, Enchantment
2010 Independence, Liberty
2011 Liberty, Freedom
2012 Freedom, Freedom, Independence
Feb 2013 Liberty
Mar 2013 Liberty
Nov 2013 Independence
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM

WE too will be in St. Maartan next March 2011 on Liberty of the Seas, and I see that we are there until 8 pm at night. I have always wanted to rent a car on St. Maarten and drive ourselves around the island but the fact that there is only one road worries me. What if there is some big accident or tie up and well (I have actually seen people miss the ship - twice now actually. We watched as the people lay down and cry while the ship pulled away). They had rented cars and come back too late. (Maybe they were stuck in traffic). I know what my husband will say, stick with the tour and let RCCL get you back safe and sound on the ship!!!). Again, to me that is the price of crusing, you gotta pay the piper to be safe!!!) Kudos to you out there who have the courage to rent a car. We are not chickens as we rent in Italy and even drive in Naples!!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:01 AM
We opted for the sissy route, took the water taxi to the beach right by the ship. We got to port at noon and I hated to waste an hour of daylight on driving. What a refreshing change from the 10 dollar chair and the 5 dollar deposit on Bermuda.....2 chairs, an umbrella, and 2 pina coladas or a bucket of 5 beers for 15 bucks!

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 AM
poormom......Traffic both in and out of Marigot is heavy after 3pm . Midwest Cruiser's recommendation for traveling around St. Martin is perfect for those traveling on a cruise ship. It's a fun drive...enjoy!!!

BillyBuzzy

Montserrat Villas

Tags
car, cruise, dock, liberty, maarten, marteen, martin, port, rental, rentals, renting, review, reviews, ship, st, stmaarten