Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 07:11 PM

We are traveling on the Freedom of the Seas this summer and stopping in Ocho Rios. I have read numerous reviews on Dunn's River Falls and we have decided to do the White River Tubing excursion from RCCL. I've searched the forums but have not found any recent or extensive reviews on this. Can anyone advise how clean the water is and whether or not this excursion is worth it? The one thing I have seen commonly posted is how aggressive the sellers are.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:37 PM

We did this a couple years ago through RCCL. I do not think we were around any sellers--at the end of the run there were some tables/tents, but no one approached us, and frankly on this kind of tour I am not sure anyone had $$ beyond what they carried to tip. We did this in February (don't know if the river has seasonal changes in flow). It was beautiful and fun. Our daughter was a very petite 9 y/o and had her own guide lashed to her tube. Our group that day was fairly small, the tour did not sell out and a couple of the waitstaff from our ship were able to go and they had lots of fun. The river was clean, the rapids fun but not at all frightening--the river as we experienced it was rated E for everyone--maybe an elderly person would have trouble getting up on the tube? but nothing too challenging. We followed the suggestion to have water shoes but we never left our tubes and were fine. The guides were friendly and gregarious as often found in jamaica. We bought a CD of the pictures they took of our family (you could select prints on their computer of just your party). One of my favorite photos was taken on this excursion of a little jamaican boy fishing in the river with a drop line (we had a water camera with). When we went we got flat paddles so you would not get hung up on the edges (tree roots, etc.) but they were just used to "bump" the shoreline and stay centered in the flow. The scenery was nice, everything really green and lush. The drive up was on the typical one lane road with lots of horn blowing on the curves. The scenery up the mountain was pretty too but I was glad my Bonine for motion sickness was still in effect. They pointed out plants and trees of interest and also a school that was having "track and field day" It was one of the better tours we purchased. A couple on our same excursion had done it before and liked it well enough to do again. I would do it again as well.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-29-2008, 04:38 PM

This is good to hear. In some of the reviews I have read, there have been cautions as to the cleanliness of the rivers in Jamaica. This would be due to upstream dumping of waste and other items. Did you by chance also go to Grand Cayman or Cozumel on this cruise? We have not planned an excursion on Grand Cayman but were going to do the dune buggies to the beach on Cozumel.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 AM

We have taken the western intinery 5 times, actually. We have gone to Sting ray City and snorkeling on each visit, once through the ship, once through Shoretrips.com (Captain Rons), once through Captain Marvins, and I am not sure who else accept this last year we used Ebanks Watersports which was the best yet. We had a 20 foot luxury boat chartered through them for just our family for the day. It was a little spendy, although not that much more than other group shore trips cost, and worth every dime. The van they met us in was new, clean, and maintained, the two men from this family owned business we met that day were both young, intellegent, clean, careful of us and all marine life we encountered, the boat was gorgeous, new, well maintained and clean. They took us to places no other boats were and we saw EVERYTHING. They also run jet ski tours in very small groups also with new well maintained machines. We found them through another party but they have a website ebankswatersports.com I think, or just search Ebanks on Grand Cayman. We have done the buggies in Cozumel (again through Shoretrips.com) and we had only our family of four and a couple from England in our group, and the guide. It was fabulous, and he personalized it for us.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 05-30-2008, 10:19 AM

It has been a couple years since we did the river tour--it was in the year following a hurricaine there and the river was clean and clear, but again that was 3-4 years ago.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Closed Thread

Tags
camera, cruise, jamaica, jamica, photos, picture, pictures, review, reviews, river, ship, tour, tubing, water, white