Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 07:42 PM

I keep thinking that I'll just go ahead and "make the plunge" by booking a shore excursion directly with the operator...however, I keep getting hung up on the fact that we are scheduled to arrive in port at 8:00 AM and the Shore Excursion information indicates "leave your hotel or cruise pier by 8:00am"

Although I understand the operators do this for a living and they must know their stuff, I can't help but wonder about the timing.

I've even taken into account the "ship time" vs "island time" but, as St Martin does not apparently observe DST, I would think "ship time" would then be the same as San Juan, my dis/embarkation point, which is apparently the same as St. Martin time.

Oh, and one last thing...I also booked two shore excusions with RCI online, for Barbados. The FAQ section recommends a minimum of 1 hour between and I have 45 minutes. The system accepted my reservations and the "calendar" indicates back-to-back excursions...have I grown myself a headache? Especially in light of the fact that I have a hard time lightening up (what can I say? Hence the cruise!)

I thank you in advance...I've thoroughly enjoyed doing my research through this board and learning from others, mistakes and otherwise.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:51 PM

Hi,
My only advise would be to talk to the operator. They are aware of the ship schedules, and should accommodate the ship passengers.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
back-to-back excursions...have I grown myself a headache? Especially in light of the fact that I have a hard time lightening up (what can I say? Hence the cruise!)
Allow yourself some time to R-E-L-A-X!!! Otherwise, you'll have gone on a cruise and be exhausted when you get back home. Just keep telling yourself travel is an ADVENTURE, expect the unexpected, deal with things as they come up and you'll have FUN!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:02 PM

Per Sonny's suggestion, I contacted the tour operator and was advised that our ship will arrive too early to go on the day-long tour...so, now I'm looking at just the Dolphin Swim, without the lunch and beach portion, as an option.

I'm a critter person and would *really* enjoy swimming with the dolphins, me thinks (but, then again, they may not care for me at all...oh the risks one must take). My understanding DH completely comprehends the "if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" statement, so...whatever makes me happy then!

So, if we arrive in St. Martin, is it a big deal to catch a ride over to Anguilla, do the "dolphin thing" and return to St. Martin without the support of a tour company?

Although I'm moderately well-traveled (married in Jamaica, bare-boated in BVI's, self-toured Belize), with the little time we're in port I'm concerned about getting my bearings and finding what we need...all without getting shafted in the process.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:37 PM

If it's offered through the ship, then you should have time to do it on your own. A swim with the dolphins is awesome, we did one in Cozumel. It was worth every cent to me. They are fascinating creatures and being able to interact with them was fantastic. Have a wonderful time!

Closed Thread