Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2005, 10:51 PM
I was wondering what everyone's opinion is regarding which port of call in the Caribbean offers the best shopping? Freeport? Nassau? St. Thomas? St.Vincent? Grand Cayman? St. Martin? Or some other port?

I have been on only one cruise in my life. I went to Nassau. I liked the Rum Cakes and the Rum. But, is there is a better port than Nassau that offers similar products at better prices?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:51 PM
I was wondering what everyone's opinion is regarding which port of call in the Caribbean offers the best shopping? Freeport? Nassau? St. Thomas? St.Vincent? Grand Cayman? St. Martin? Or some other port?

I have been on only one cruise in my life. I went to Nassau. I liked the Rum Cakes and the Rum. But, is there is a better port than Nassau that offers similar products at better prices?
Old 01-15-2005, 07:23 AM

It depends on what you are in the market for, but I have found that it is a toss-up between St. Thomas and St. Martin. I think St. Martin has overall better pricing, but the duty free allowance in St. Thomas is much greater.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-15-2005, 08:20 AM

I would agree with Nancy on the Caribbean ports, but I believe the best port in the world for shopping would be Istanbul. Just my opinion.

Tom
Old 01-15-2005, 11:51 AM

Never been to Istanbul, but I once bought a ring in St. Martin that was significantly cheaper than the exact same ring in St. Thomas.
shelley
Old 01-15-2005, 08:46 PM

I have been to St. Martin and it's a great place to get a bargain and to shop. The people will deal with you for a price lower than what they're asking for. I was also in Martinique and the streets were really crowded and I didn't like the shopping at all. Be sure to take small bills if you plan on using cash.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:08 AM

I agree with Tom that Istanbul is awesome, the Grand Bazaar. But, closer & easier is the Caribbean. To me St.Thomas remains #1. Although I do have great jewelers in St.Marteen & Aruba too. I find Grand Cayman abit overpriced, but, do have some good shops there too. Not too fond of Bahamas or Jamaica.

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 01-20-2005, 09:05 PM

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Cozumel. As for the Caribbean and Mexican ports and cities I have been to I think Cozumel has some of the best shopping. It is also on many cruise itineraries.
Happy shopping everyone!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:04 AM

I usually buy my "Ideas for Prizes" stuff in Cozumel and my impression is that the prices (at least for the low-end gifts) has really surged upward in the past year. It could just be me, but stuff that I used to buy for one or two dollars is now more like three or three fifty.

I don't know if the prices on more expensive items are more competitive or not. Anyone know?

Tom
Old 01-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Banned

I think that the merchants have to pay more to import the stuff that is "made" in Mexico.

Closed Thread

Tags
bazaar, caribbean, carribean, cruise, grand, jewelryst, location, maarten, marten, nassau, port, ports, reviews, shopping, southern, st, world