Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:29 PM

This topic may have been asked somewhere before but I am just curious. Are their any nice beaches to go to right at Old San Juan?? This will determine if I will wear a swimsuit at this port or just some shorts and a tank top. If there are nice accessible beaches; then I would want to wear my swimsuit in port so it is easy to access and not have to change clothes while at the port.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-20-2008, 07:55 AM

The Condado section of the beaches isn't that far from Old San Juan. There are plenty of resorts, and you can use the beaches. I'd probably take a cab, but I guess you could walk it. Casanova Frankenstein lives in Puerto Rico, so maybe you could PM him, if he doesn't see your post.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Maybe this link will help

here
Old 05-27-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Casanova frankenstein:
Maybe this link will help

here
Thank you for the link but is Old San Juan more known for people just walking trough the town or do people go there to go to maybe a fabulous beach like at St. Thomas everyone wants to go to Trunk Bay. The beaches that are on the link are they far away like I know some ports you dock and the beaches are not real far you do not have to take a ride there, they are close by in walking distance??

Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 PM

There aren't really any beaches within walking distance of the cruise ship piers in OSJ. There's a small beach (I forget the name of it) across from the capital building ... but that's a long walk from the piers. Probably the closest beach to the piers that you would want to go to is Escambron Beach, but even that is a taxi-ride away.

Hope this helps.

Edit to remove advertising link.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Administrator

I would not think of OSJ as a beach destination.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Well to tell you the truth I can't agree more with you Dave Beers, San Juan is not a beach destination...
even worst is not the best part of the island
Many of you will not see the west side or the south side of the island where the real, less crowded and Aruba alike beaches are, even once we were the house of world surfing competition here, but the problem is our tourism department don't let you know this becuase they only want to sell San Juan to the tourist but "Porta del Sol", I hope, will change that
Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
I would not think of OSJ as a beach destination.
That's the answer I was looking for so I will have a swimsuit with me but it will not be my main attire, just in case a group decides to take a taxi to a beach or something. So is OSJ basically a tour of the old town??? Are there shops there where you can buy things and if so what kind of shops are there that are nice????

Old 05-28-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nita:
So is OSJ basically a tour of the old town??? Are there shops there where you can buy things and if so what kind of shops are there that are nice????
No need to pay for a "tour". Just grab a map and wander around the streets of OSJ. If you're looking for a "walking tour", you can do a self-guided one.

There are your typical "port" shops (jewelry, tee shirts, magnets, etc), designer shops (Coach, Polo, Tommy H, D&B, etc), lots of art galleries, and some fantastic restaurants (south end of Forteleza street "SoFo").

If history is your thing, you can't beat the forts, the cathedral, and the museums (both cultural and art museums).

There are horse/carriage rides, a Segway tour, and even a small Don Q rum visitor center right across the street from the piers.

Edit to remove advertising links.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:40 PM
por fin alguien mas de Puerto Rico!!!
thanks
well i'll recomend also the store fo chocolates near port on old San Juan
Corne Port-Royal
I'll try during my next cruise
but if your looking for good prces on jewels like st.Thomas Puerto Rico is a little more expensive, but most stores on old San Juan has items you can bring back to the states as souvenirs...

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, beaches, close, closest, cruise, juan, juanreview, long, nice, people, port, san, segway, tour, walk