Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 09:10 AM

Is it better to purchase a shore excursion than includes transportation, chair on beach, through RCI or just get a taxi at port? Is Sapphire, Maegan, or Coki better for just enjoy the beauty of the water and beach and possibly snorkeling. Appreciate any advice.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:49 PM

I have been to St Thomas 5 or 6 times while on different cruises. I would recommend taking a taxi to Magens Bay----the beach and water there are the most beautiful and calm i have ever seen. Last time we were there, the cab driver told us that Sapphire beach was better so we went there. NOT better at all. Stick to Magen's and they also have chairs and air matresses for rent. have fun.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:20 PM

Hello Karin, welcome to Cruise-Chat. If would like to do a little snorkling I'd go to Coki Beach. The best is Trunk Bay, which is a ferry ride to St. Johns. There is a admittance fee at Magen's Beach.

Sonny
Old 08-26-2007, 08:16 PM

After I posted this, I kept reading other posts answering a question similar to mine. It seemed that Trunk Bay was a very popular response. If we have time, I think I would like to go there; if not, I think I'll try Magen's. Is the ferry ride close to where the ship will dock or will we take a cab to the ferry ride? Thanks, Kathy
Old 08-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Here are two photos I snapped while at Trunk Bay, St. John, U.S.V.I. :

Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Please excuse my misspelling of Trunk Bay in the following photograph:

Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 AM

Hi Kathy,
It depends on where you dock. If you're in Charolette Amalie, they do run a ferry from there. If you dock in the other place, you'd need to take a cab. (I can't remember the name, I think it's Crown Point). The schedule from Charolette is not as frequent as from Red Hook. Red Hook definitely requires a cab. You won't regret going over, it is absolutely gorgeous!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:55 PM

Thanks Frase for the beautiful photos - it does look like paradise.
Penny, thanks for the info - we are docking at Charlotte. So we will take the ferry which I understand is easy to find from where we will be docking. Would you have a suggestion as to how much time we should allow to get back to the dock? I'm sure it depends something on number of ships docked that day, etc. By the way Penny - I have spent many hours looking up topics in the chat on all the ports we will be visiting in Nov. and many responses, I have noticed, have been from you. I have found all of them to be very informative and helpful as we make decisions on what to do. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and knowledge from your past cruises! Thanks again
Old 08-28-2007, 09:36 AM

B&Kat50, thank you so much for your kind words. I love trying to share a little information with others since you are in port for such a short amount of time and there is so much to see and do. A lot of people ask me why I still cruise the Caribbean since they think I've been everywhere down there. Well, I haven't been everywhere and the places I've been many times there always seems like something new to see or do. You're right about the number of ships in port making a difference. Most people stay on St. Thomas, but that creates a lot of traffic. If you're going to use the ferry from Charolette Amalie, then the traffic isn't too big of a concern. You can walk faster than a cab can get you back to the ship from where the ferry lets you off. If, however, you have to take the ferry back to Red Hook, allow at the very minimum 1 1/2 hours to get back to your ship. It's a 2 lane road for the most part and can really get backed up when people are trying to get back to their ships. Frase's pictures are great, but honestly, Trunk Bay is even more beautiful. Be sure and have your camera for the ride to/from Trunk Bay, usually the driver will stop for some great photo ops. Don't hesitate to ask them to stop, they will be happy to do so. I think the ferry was $6/pp, the cab ride was around $5/pp, and the entrace fee was about $2/pp. There are all the amenities you will need, including lockers. Have a wonderful cruise!
Old 09-02-2007, 11:41 PM

Just got back from a long vacation, Island Hopping the Virgin Islands, what a dream! I got to spend 2 full glorious days at Trunk Bay!, Previously had only been there for about an hour on a cruise ship excursion. Of all the beaches on St. John and St. Thomas, this is the best. Penny, got to spend a day at Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas, Oh what a treat! The snorkeling was super and the beach was breathaking! I've been to St. Thomas several times on Cruises and had never been to Magens so I drove down there on this vacation and I have to say I really did not think it was all that pretty. Trunk Bay & Sapphire have got Magens beat hands down! Spent some time at Morningstar Beach while staying at the Marriot Frenchmens Reef Resort on St Thomas. The beach there is not so nice. ( And the resort is really not paying much attention to upkeep!, certainly not what you'd think a Marriot would be. it has a great location on the cliff there, gorgeous views but it seems to be resting on it's laurels!) Unfortunately I didn't get to go to Coki Beach this time, I really wanted to see that beach, ran out of time. The 3rd day on the islands they were telling us that a hurricane was coming (DEAN). Luckily it missed us by a few hundred miles. The last day it brushsd us with some sprinkled showers and stormy seas and grey skies. It was kind of wierd seeing that normally calm sea so turbulent. The best part of the trip was a day sail to Jost Van Dyke, BVI. Oh what a day! We got to visit the famous Soggy Dollar Bar where they invented the famous Pain Killer! Oh the views!, the hammocks! ahhhhh! Also stopped at Foxy's for lunch.

Closed Thread

Tags
bay, beach, cab, crown, cruise, dock, docks, fare, magens, megans, point, sapphire, ship, st, stop, thomas, visit