Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Banned

Ok...after years of going to Cozumel as many as 4 to 5 times a year....we finally got out of our rut and did something different.

We hired a private driver and bar hopped the East Side. It was wonderful.

Gerry cost us $95.00 for 3 hours (for up to 4 people). He will even bring an ice chest in case you want to stop at the grocery and fill it up with ice and drinks and beer.

We planned our own tour. He would take us anywhere we wanted to go and for however long.

He speaks great English and drives carefully!
The vehicle is locked at every place you stop.
He is a wealth of information.

For those of us who have never been to the East (primitive side)...it was a hoot. No electricity...they haul purified water and ice over every morning to the 6 bars over there.

There is small area of porous rock where the surf shoots up through the holes in the rock.
That was cool.

Overall a great idea for those tired of the beach...tired of shopping in Cozumel and wanting to do something different.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:18 PM

We actually rented a Jeep and drove around the island, it is sooo easy, just one street and hardly any traffic. Then we took the Mini Submarine tour with Cozumel-WaterSports, WOW THAT was something different. Next time we will just relay and take the All Inclusive Beach they offer in Cozumel!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:23 PM

LHP,

Now that sounds like a lot of fun. Did you just run into the taxi driver, or ask the dispatcher at the pier? The people that run the taxi service are really nice. They found my camera and had it waiting for me at the Puerto Maya dispatch.

Dwayne
Old 01-22-2009, 11:53 AM

We've done the east side drive and simply love it. The place is nearly always deserted. The water is quite beautiful, though we never do more than wade in it. We've had some great food over there. Ate at Playa Bonita last time and really enjoyed it.

2004 - Fascination
2005 - Ecstasy, Elation
2006 - Sensation, Holiday
2007 - Fantasy, Glory
2008 - Holiday, Sensation
2009 - Fantasy, Valor, Glory
Coming up:
2010 - Monarch OTS
Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
LHP,

Now that sounds like a lot of fun. Did you just run into the taxi driver, or ask the dispatcher at the pier? The people that run the taxi service are really nice. They found my camera and had it waiting for me at the Puerto Maya dispatch.

Dwayne
We have a friend that lives in Cozumel and he recommended Gerry to us.

He can actually handle up to 8 folks if he takes the full size van...so it is nice to folks who want to go to the East side...but don't want the hassles of "drinking and driving".

You do not give him any credit card information when you make the reservation. And you pay him at the end of your "tour".

His email address is cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com

He will be waiting for you at the pier....

I have a picture of Gerry for anyone who wants to see he or the van .... just email me at musicalcruiser@hotmail.com
Old 01-29-2009, 04:56 PM

Dang we did that 15 years ago while staying in Cozumel for a week, just you talking about it brings a smile to my face. By the time we got to the 3rd or 4th bar, we were hungry, they were so accomadating, they ran a table onto the beach, so we could have our feet in the water and eat at the same time. We still talk about the "Beer a Beach Tour" fondly. Thanks LHP !
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 01-30-2009, 06:38 AM

My daughter and her husband did the Cozumel Dune Buggy Tour and said it was the most fun of any excursion they've ever done. I was in Cozumel last Oct and was tempted to do the time share thing at the new hotel resort they built. You have to listen to their pitch for an hour, but you can spend the day as a guest. I might do that next week. If I do, I'll post my experience. We'll probably end up going to Chankanaab National Park. We haven't been there since the hurricane.

Sonny
Old 01-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Sonny - Have a safe and relaxing pair of cruises aboard the Independence - Keep us posted with the happenings on board. Above all-Relax and enjoy!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 01-30-2009, 06:45 PM

We did the same thing in 07. We've been going Coz since 91. We hired a taxi for the day for $100 dollars. The driver picked us up at the hotel, gave us a tour through town and all the great spots there. He then took us to San Gervasio, (some of the Mayan ruins) and waited for us for a couple of hours. He then took us to the east side where we visited most of the places there and ate lunch (we bought his). Then on around the island. What a fantastic day! I highly reccomend folks to do the same thing.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011

Closed Thread

Tags
cozumel, cozumeltaxihotmailcom, excursions, gerry, mini, review, service, taxi, watersports