Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 02:01 PM

I personally feel safer taking a ship excursion and was wondering if anyone could recommend a excursion out of these ports? We do not scuba dive and am looking for a mild to moderate activity. I am disabled but can get around on my own with a cane, but can no longer do strenuous activities.

Also are these area's safe to visit?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Doing a ship's tour is a good idea for these ports. Costa Rica is a largely safe country, Panama relatively safe, and Colombia - well, you need to stay on the beaten path. I suggest you look at one of the plantation tours in Costa Rica or Panama. I enjoyed the pineapple plantation tour in Puerto Limon. They also have one for bananas. Taking a tour to the Panama Canal is really a must. Some tours will go one place for a while and then stop at the canal too. There is also a train tour in Panama that is popular, as well as a tour boat that goes through the canal. None of these are strenuous.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:58 PM

Thanks Dave! I appreciate your input....

Tanya
Old 07-28-2008, 05:21 PM
In costa Rica we did a private tour but the ship probably offer similar tours
we did the banana plantation & the Tortugero Canal Tour
It was enjoyable & lunch a local restaurant on the beach
In Columbia we did the ships tour to La Popa ...spectacular view http://travel.webshots.com/photo/203...01934561qiEReA
We went the Emerald store (of course) and the artisan market...bought coffee beans for a very good price (check out a few shops first)
Colon we just went into the port building ..there is a supermarket right there we purchased some pop, water
& more coffee
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 07-29-2008, 06:37 AM

that is one of the itin's my friends and i are considering for next year...i think it looks fantastic - different that most choices

i'd love to hear from anyone who has done this before

only thing stopping us is the addition flight cost
Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM

Lyn, when we were in Costa Rica, we did the Tortugero Canal tour and booked it through the ship. It was great! We will be in Costa Rica again in January and are thinking about doing the same tour. It was fun to see the monkeys, 3-toed sloths, etc. And the luncheon was really good.

We will be in Colombia for the first time and appreciate your info on that.

Thanks!

Nadine

Closed Thread

Tags
colon, columbia, costa, cruise, emeralds, limon, panama, port, private, puerto, reviews, rica, safe, shops, tours