Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 07:22 AM

Our first trip to the port of Key West (9/12/06).

The people here are so well informed and helpful.

Any suggestions on things to do and things to see in Key West?

Thanks,

Conquest 10/15/06
Rhapsody of the Seas 9/10/06
Grand Princess 1/06
Conquest 9/05/05
Grandeur of the Sea 2/05
Elation 1/04
Conquest 9/03
Celebration 1/03
Celebration 1/01
Nowiegen 9/00
Commodore 9/06
Commodore 4/96
Old 08-30-2006, 08:05 AM

We've been to Key West many times. There's lots to do there. I recommend that you go on the trolley. You can get on and off at the various stops. It's a little pricey but the ticket is good for the entire day. We enjoyed the Hemingway House, Southernmost Point and Mel Fisher's Shipwreck Museum. I'd take a peak into Sloppy Joe's just to say you've been there. Of course, it's going to be hot in Key West in September so you might want to stop for a beer instead of just a look.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:16 PM

Cruising Nole:

I believe you once lived in Austin. Our 105 degree weather over that several weeks should help prepare us for the heat. Therefore, we plan to go none stop and try to do it all in 8 hours.

Thanks,

Conquest 10/15/06
Grand Princess 1/06
Conquest 9/05/05
Grandeur of the Sea 2/05
Elation 1/04
Conquest 9/03
Celebration 1/03
Celebration 1/01
Nowiegen 9/00
Commodore 9/06
Commodore 4/96
Old 08-31-2006, 10:37 AM

You're right, we did live in Austin. In fact, we moved to Florida from Dallas so we know heat. The humidity down here will is what kills you.

You might want to check the website www.keywestfun.org. Earlier in the year they had 2 for 1 coupons for some of the Key West attractions like the Hemingway House, Mel Fisher's Maritime Museum, Truman Little White House and the aquarium. The coupons expire on Oct. 15. Sorry, no coupons for 2 for 1 beers at Sloppy Joe's.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:28 AM

Cruising Nole:

Thanks for all the help and the coupons. They're perfect we don't drink beer.

Conquest 10/15/06
Grand Princess 1/06
Conquest 9/05/05
Grandeur of the Sea 2/05
Elation 1/04
Conquest 9/03
Celebration 1/03
Celebration 1/01
Nowiegen 9/00
Commodore 9/06
Commodore 4/96
Old 09-01-2006, 08:35 AM

If you like key lime pie, be sure to visit the Blond Giraffe. They're off the main street downtown and have one of the best key lime pies I've had. Have a great time!!
Old 09-01-2006, 12:29 PM

penny3333:

Thanks for the pie tip.

Noticed you're on the Costa ship. My wife and I have considered that but we have seen so many negative reviews.

Believe me we discount almost every review, but have you sailed on Costa before? How is it?

Thanks again,

Conquest 10/15/06
Grand Princess 1/06
Conquest 9/05/05
Grandeur of the Sea 2/05
Elation 1/04
Conquest 9/03
Celebration 1/03
Celebration 1/01
Nowiegen 9/00
Commodore 9/06
Commodore 4/96
Old 09-02-2006, 04:04 PM

We went to Blond Giraffe-great Key Lime Pie. Several famous bars, so you can arange a bar crawl, to learn the history and taste whatever drink they are famous for. Stock Island is about a 20 minute ride from the port, Stock Island has a reality show taped there for MTV. Parasailing, lots of gift shops, etc. We did not tour the Little White House, but walked by and heard from others it is intersting and worth taking the time to see it. It is still used by the presidents for a place to stay when in Key West.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:38 AM

Hello,

As a resident of South Florida, I have visited the Keys numerous times, and I agree with doing the trolley tour. It stops at all the places folks need to see, plus keeps you off your feet walking. The main street in Key West is Duval Street. That is where the action is with tourists and locals. So even if you decide to not take the trolley, Duval Street is where you want to be.

'Penny 3333' is absolutely right about the key lime pie...Blonde Giraffe is the best. More places on your 'have to stop in tour' are Sloppy Joes and Hogs Breath Saloon. The conch fritters at Sloopy's are the best I have ever had. Hands down. Both places sell t-shirts (little pricey) but worth it to say you've been there. See if there is a place called 'Pappy's' which is near Sloppy Joes. They have the most amazing fried shrimp....oh Lord!!!

One thing about the Keys: they are laid back. Its not about five minutes ago down there. People are very friendly and willing to help. I will not say there are no interesting people down there, but man, are they fun to watch. When you get off the ship, look for a local newspaper. It highlights all local hotspots that tourists don't know about. Hopefully, your ship does not leave until evening. The locals have a celebration at Mallory Aquare every night as the sun sets. Awesome!!

Billy
Old 09-03-2006, 08:45 AM

We were in KW last Thanksgiving. There are lots of fun things to do. Here are some of the most easily accessible ones.

Duval St. - The main drag through KW, where most bars and shops are located.
There's a webcam outside of Sloppy Joes where your friends at home can see you. We called while on camera and it was kind of fun.
The top floor of Hotel La Concha has a bar with an open air deck that has a great view.
Blonde Giraffe...amen!

Lighthouse - you can climb to the top and get a nice view of the island too, but no drinks.

Hemingway House - kinda neat, especially the 6 toed cats.

Audabon House - not that great, esp. since it wasn't his house. He just stayed there for a week.

Mel Fisher Museum - pretty interesting, esp. if you're intrigued by the whole treasure thing.

Cemetary - sounds creepy but there are some interesting headstones like the one that reads, "I told you I was sick!"

Rent a bike or moped - good way to see a lot fo the backstreets with interesting houses and flora, and you can get to the public beaches on the other side of the island.

There are a ton of good restaurants but they tend to be pricey.

Have fun!

Your old pal,
Joe

Closed Thread

Tags
key, west