Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 03:43 PM

just wondering if anyone has got off the ship and just took a taxi to dunes river falls if so how much should we expect to pay.thanks

Edited by Dave to correct spelling in the thread title.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
October 03, 2005 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Previous Topic | Next Topic powered by eve community

depends where you are docking. we docked in Montego Bay and the bus trip was about 45 minutes each way I believe. That would be a little pricy for a taxi (in my opinion)
Old 08-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator

If you are docking in Ocho Rios the falls are not that far away. I walked to them from the pier area in 1981. But that was 25 years and 100 pounds ago.

Seriously, it isn't that expensive and you will find no shortage of taxi and tour bus drivers offering to take you to Dunn's River Falls. Just be sure to settle on a price before you get in the vehicle and make sure that price is clear between you and the driver.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Banned

we did that a few days ago...it was $16 round trip for 2 of us. we got to the taxi area in ocho rios and there was a large board with set prices for the different places, you pay up front for the round trip and the same cab will come back and get you at a specified time..the cabbie said 2 hours but i piped up what if we want 3 hours? the cabbie said that was fine if we all agreed there were about 10 of us and we all opted for 3 hours...half of them left early by going to the parking lot and finding him.
also nice to know is the park charges $15 a head for admission, is a short cab ride from ocho rios (10 min) they charge $5 for water shoe rental and strongly recomend them but you dont have to rent them, i saw people climbing the falls barefoot, and personally i had my own water shoes, you can do the whole falls from the beach up (takes an hour) or jump in at a few access points, you can hold hands with the guided groups or do it on your own...big tip:walk on the darker colored rocks, they have all the slime wore off them where as the lighter colored ones are more slippery. the beach was unimpressive $5 to rent a beach chair, jet ski guys just offshore offered $25 rides which was a great deal. beer was $3 for heiniken or jamaican brands but only the jamaican brands were cold when i asked (figures)
the gift shops on the way out are very pushy..the island is very poor so they must be persistant in their sales pitches...i avoided most of it by telling them i had no money on me and politely looking at thier wares and talking to them. but if you dont like pushy vendors i suggest you run past them to the exit. The place was VERY crowded but definately a must see as the area best attraction. oh another hint: if you want to shop at the taj mahal shopping center dont get ripped like we did, we paid $6 to get a cab one way from the pier to there, when actually it is within walking distance...be prepared for heavy begger action outside the shopping areas and pier area....if we go back we will probably go to margaritaville, which is in island village right next to pier, it had a great atmosphere and a nice beach next to it that only charges $3 to get in and $5 for chairs or umbrellas

Closed Thread

Tags
cab, cruise, dunn, dunns, falls, falmouth, fare, ocho, port, ride, rios, river, taking, taxi, terminal, tips