Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2006, 01:34 PM

We are sailing the Costa Magica in Jan (21-28)2007. We learned that the Atlantic Humpbacks migrate to the area around the Dominican Republic from Dec - Mar. Does anyone have any info on excursions to get 'close-up' with the whales? We are scuba divers so we can do dive excursions too. Our ship also visits Grand Turk which I've heard also has good whale sightings. Any one have any info for me??? Please let me know Mary
Old 08-27-2006, 01:34 PM

We are sailing the Costa Magica in Jan (21-28)2007. We learned that the Atlantic Humpbacks migrate to the area around the Dominican Republic from Dec - Mar. Does anyone have any info on excursions to get 'close-up' with the whales? We are scuba divers so we can do dive excursions too. Our ship also visits Grand Turk which I've heard also has good whale sightings. Any one have any info for me??? Please let me know Mary
Old 11-04-2006, 01:37 PM

January 2006 I did the Whale watching tour while staying at a resort in the Dominican Republic.

From what I observed, there was no snorkeling or diving allowed in the area. First of all the whales move at a really fast pace, so it would be impossible to dive with them. Secondly it was only an educated Captains guess to where the whatles might be. (Versus going to Stingray City -- where the rays have been fed for so many years they find you.)

I was really pleased how the DR regulated the Whale watching "procedure" each boat could only stay a specific time by the whale/whales, then they had to move out to let another boat get closer to the whale/whales.

Then the Captain proceded to locate another whale. I thought the whales traveled in large schools like fish and they do not. Was really thrilled to see a mother and child.

The hotel I was staying at didn't offer Whale watching in the "tour" brochure, that should of told me it was really too far to travel to. But I asked and they located a tour for me. I left at 6:30 a.m. and didn't get back until 7:30 p.m. that night. Despite hours of being on the bus by myself before we picked up the first group of hotel guest, I was thrilled I did the tour.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:47 PM

Hi Kathryn!!
Thank you for responding to my question!! Do you remember what city the actual tour left from and the name of the tour company?? Our ship docks in La Romana, DR ... I was wondering how far your tour was from that city? It would be great if we could contact them and do the same!! Thanks so much!! Mary
Old 11-29-2006, 11:14 AM

Hi Mary-
I am going on the Costa Mediterranea on Feb 11 and am looking into the same thing. I am so eager to see the whales, but it looks like they are in Samana Bay on the NE coast of DR and we are on the southern coast with all the sharks! Let me know if you have any luck finding an excursion from LaRomana. I'd love to do the same. Thanks!

Closed Thread