Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 04:46 AM

This is our first cruise and is in Feb/Mar 2008. Wondered if anyone would be able to help us with where to go and what to see on these two islands. We visit St. Lucia the day after we sail (might be a bit tired) and then Antigua the next.
We just didn't know whether to 'do our own thing' or pay for an organised trip. Is there anything that is a 'must see' on either island. Coming all the way from Scotland (to some warm weather - I hope!!)we don't want to discover - "Oh I wish we had done that".
Don't know how we'll cope with visiting four ports each day in a row!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:29 AM

Antigua is one of my favorite islands. You definitely should hire a nice driver to take you on a tour of the island. you will see the amazing harbor and get to go up into Shirley Heights which is the highest point on the island, if I am not mistaken. It was used as a strategic viewing point as the island was developing and the view is really magnificent. A good driver will take you to other scenic points on the island. make sure he takes you to the place with "Devil" in its name (can'trecall the whole place name at present). aside from that, Antigua is a great place to swim and relax. Take the scenic tour and then go relax. When you arrive, the cruise dock is usually filled with people trying to get you to buy stuff or offer taxis for hire. I have been on the island 4 times, and each time had no trouble finding a good driver. Have fun!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:43 AM
The Historical tour of the island is a nice trip....Nelson's Dock Yard and a look at some of the forts...I'm going to St. Lucia in Jan and will go deep sea fishing.....another island to take a tour....I've always booked thru the ship...but you can arrange your own trip too...Happy Cruising...You will be back for more..

Bob E
Old 12-13-2007, 07:55 AM

There are some posts from Scott Taylor in this section, they went to Pineapple Beach when they were in Antigua and had a great time. We went snorkeling on a catamaran. It might have been the time of the year (late October or early November-we sailed on October 26, so not sure what day we were in Antigua) and had too many jelly fish for the snorkel to be enjoyable. The water was very clear, but there were hundreds if not thousands of jelly fish. They then took us to a beach to swim, which was very nice. My hubby had way too many rum punches to remember much of Antigua. I did a little shopping right at the port and the prices were reasonable. St. Lucia is one of my favorite islands, we've snorkeled there every visit and it's been really nice. The last time we were there, we took a cab to Pigeon Island, it was really nice. The excursion through the ship would have been less, but they only got to stay 1 1/2 hours, we stayed about 4. There are remains of the fort and military houses there, a museum, a beautiful area for viewing the bay and surrounding ocean, 3 or 4 beaches, and a restaurant/bar. The snorkeling wasn't that great, but the swimming sure was. Hope this helps a little. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 AM

Yes Penny it was the Occidental Pinapple Beach Resort in Antigua, an all inclusive, very nice day there. Heard that Turners Beach was heavenly from a friend of ours who grew up there. There's a restaurant too. We were going to go there per our friend's reccommondation but chose not to. We did pass along our friend's reccommondation to other people on our ship and they all said Turners was absolutely fantasitic. I believe I heard they had hammocks there too. I'd maybe hire a driver here to take you to some sites and then stop at Turners Beach. There's so much to do in Antigua, so many nice sites to see. In St. Lucia we did a sea and land full day excurion sponsored by our ship. It sure covered all the islands highlights but it was a long day. It started by sea, stopping for some snorkeling then a beach then sailed thru Marigot Bay where they filmed Dr. Doolittle. After that it sailed close to the pitons for some great views to a town called Soufriere where we hiked up to a sulfer pit and the drive - in volcano. (smelled horrible, didn't like this part of this tour). Then we went to a sugar cane plantation tour where they served us a great lunch. Forget the name of the plantation. Anyhow, this tour was great but I hope you have some energy, it was a long long day! Penny's day sounded better to me, but I don't like to tour much. My idea of a perfect day in the Caribben involves a beach, swaying palm trees, a hammock and a few coctails! With 4 ports to visit in a row, you may want some relaxing beach time so that you don't wear yourselves out. Have a great cruise. You're visiting some of the best ports in the Caribbean!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:12 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. Scott, it appears that you may have similair tastes to me! - Heaven will be just lazing on a white sandy beach with crystal clear water and the sun - oh the sun!! can't wait to see it again as here in Scotland all we seen to get is rain!!
As I said, many thanks for all the info. Will probably post more questions before we sail.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Don't forget the hammocks!!! Gotta have a hammock!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:54 AM

On St. Lucia, my wife and daughter took and excursion that involved a hike through a rainforest to a waterfall. You could swim in a natural pool at the base of the waterfall. They have beautiful pictures. They said they haven't seen anything like it on any other island in the Caribbean.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Please when you arrive to st.Lucia,
There is a trip you can actually go on the "pirates of the caribbean ship tour" thats a great tour is expensive but you will love it,

Also:

ASK ABOUT THE BANANA KETCHUP!!!

is way better than the tomato ketchup you will really enjoy it, I dont really remember which one of the two island but I believe it was st. Lucia

Closed Thread

Tags
antigua, caribbean, cruise, long, lucia, pirates, sail, ship, ships, st