Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 06:25 PM

Has anyone ever done this excursion, either on their own or through the cruise line? I'm doing this excursion, and while I have ridden before, it will be my first time doing beach horseback riding. I also was hoping to take my video camera, but am not sure if the guide will allow it, since I will be on horseback.

Unfortunately I have a mini DV camcorder with no shoulder strap, so I would have to hold it, which I'm fine with. The camera bag has a shoulder strap, but not the camera itself. This leads to another question. Will the guide let me take a small bag with me? If not, is there a safe place to leave it at the stables?
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 AM

Hi MCPayne, guess no one has done this excursion. Many years ago, I worked as a trail guide for a stable. We allowed our guests to bring cameras, DVD recorders hadn't been invented just movie cameras that were HUGE and heavy and expensive so very few had them. I don't see any problems with bringing your camera. A shoulder strap or strap period would make it easier for you to carry, but shouldn't be a show stopper. If it's the size of ours, it easily fits in a pocket for safe-keeping while you might be hanging on for dear life The guides should be more than willing to help you, too!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:12 PM

Thanks Penny. My camcorder is a Panasonic PV-GS83 mini DV (not DVD) camcorder. My digital camera, which I may bring, will definitely fit in my pocket, but my camcorder won't. Especially if I'm sitting on a horse, I don't want to be fiddling trying to get it out of my pocket and risk dropping it.

I figure if there are females going on this excursion, they will have purses or handbags, so I don't see how a camera case with a strap would be any different than that.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 PM

Just looked at the Best Buy site, and I think there's a case that will carry just my camcorder that comes with a belt clip ($18), so I will probably invest in that, and I can easily access the camcorder for the shots. I'm fortunate that there's a Best Buy across the road from my development. Right now I have a medium sized camera bag and that holds the camcorder, the AC adapter/battery charger, tapes, and extra battery.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:11 AM

The belt clip sounds like just the right solution. Similar to our waterproof card holders for when we snorkel. We got those through AMEX, but they have them on board the ships as well. Ours are smaller than the ones on the ships, which I like. Now, if only I could come up with an invention like that, I could quit working
Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 PM

Giddy Up MCPayne and Hi O Silver ! Sounds like you go it covered and don't forget, the guides are very willing to get you doing the riding through the surf and all...Sounds like a ball.
We have been to Grand Cayman several times and have done other excursions; enjoy.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-06-2009, 02:43 PM

Thanks Penny and Peter. I do plan on also getting a waterproof container, and am going to see if my local AAA branch has them. If not, then I may order one off of amazon.com or a similar website.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, cayman, george, grand, honey, honeysuckle, honeysuckles, horseback, review, ride, rides, suckle, tiki, towngrand, trail