Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   St. Thomas beaches (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/1992-st-thomas-beaches.html)

Deege2424 07-26-2010 02:49 PM

I've recently read that St. Thomas has had a high rate of crime at the beaches. Can anyone confirm that and list the names of the beaches where these crimes are occurring. I hope it's not Megan's Bay I will be there August 19, 2010.

Dave 07-26-2010 03:07 PM

There was one incident two weeks ago where a tourist was killed by gang cross-fire on her way to Coki Beach. Another was wounded. They weren't at the beach, and were sadly in the wrong place at the wrong time. They were caught up in a revenge killing and were not the targets. It could have been anywhere. St. Thomas has ramped up police presence at all tourist locations and the suspected shooter is in custody.

I wouldn't be afraid to go to Coki Beach, and certainly not Magen's Bay.

Dave 07-27-2010 09:38 AM

However, you might want to read this USA Today article which discusses some non-crime issues affecting Magen's Bay and Coki. I just found the article this morning.

penny3333 07-27-2010 12:00 PM

Dave, that is indeed sad news. St. Thomas used to be so pristine. Guess that's what happens when everyone wants to move to paradise.

I know they'll get it cleaned up, but it does break my heart. I hope St. John doesn't end up like that, too. Maybe opening up St. Croix again was a good idea.

Dave 07-27-2010 12:53 PM

Some day I might do a land vacation at Petite St. Vincent. I like the way the guests communicate with the staff.

penny3333 07-27-2010 02:49 PM

Sounds great. We have been to St. Vincent. I really enjoyed that island, it was like the Caribbean used to be.

RichC 08-04-2010 11:42 AM

The only reason I wouldn't go back to Coki beach is because the place was filthy the last time we were there. Supposedly they're cleaning the place up shortly but I doubt if it'll be finished before Aug 19. Other than that the snorkeling was great.

poormom 08-04-2010 04:25 PM

RichC
I'll be there shortly after you. The article says a 10 day clean up.
If it's open, I'm going to Coki and I'll report back!

RichC 08-04-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by poormom:
RichC
I'll be there shortly after you. The article says a 10 day clean up.
If it's open, I'm going to Coki and I'll report back!
Ever since Princess starting going to Crown Bay we started to go to Emerald Beach since it's so close by. I don't think there's any fish there at all or at least I've never seen any near the rocks but it clean, free with some natural shade & we can walk there & back in time for a late lunch. If you're going for snorkeling then Coki is the best bet. Take some pictures of the entrance area- I'd love to see how much of a cleanup they did.

papa60 08-12-2010 04:43 PM

We found Sapphire Beach to be both peaceful and beautiful.
Papa