Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 06:48 PM

At the risk of blowing the best kept secret... Go to Rum Point Beach if you're looking for the best beach atmosphere, hammocks, beach bar, surreal Caribbean scenery. You can take a quick ferry over, ask a local where it is, I think it's near the Cruise Port at some hotel.

I did hear that Stingray City was great, After Steve Erwin's recent tragedy, this excursion offering may not be as crowded as it normally would! (kidding)

Grand Cayman, crowded or uncrowded is definately worth getting off the ship. This is definately not an island to be missed. Was there last time with about 6 ships in port, not too crowded, like previous poster said, they handle it well, lots of excursions leaving around the same time but plenty of space.

I don't think I'd go to 7 Mile Beach though with that many ships. That beach was once pristine, now over rated, gets too crowded and too many hotels, didn't think the beach there was that pretty compared to some others I've seen.

Also hear of so many people going excursions to a little town called Hell. I don't plan on going to Hell, I suppose that most people who end up there don't plan on it either. Heard some folks on a cruise complain that Hell was too hot. They really sufferd there, said the tour was long, felt like an eternity. One guy said he was under the impression that it would be fun, some tour operator named El Diablo made a "deal" with him and he ended up getting burned! I would definately never reccommend this place again. I once reccommended it to my ex boss who "fired" me just because I told him to go there!
Old 11-06-2006, 06:57 PM

Oops!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Banned

aaaakkkkkkkk help us were being punned to death...aaarrrggghhhhh

they have a triple tour that goes to stingray city,(hand-fed stingrays on a shallow sandbar). Hell,(rock formations and a post office to send postcards from). and the turtle farm,(tons of seaturtles which they let you handle). thats most of what they have to offer besides shopping or the beach..we went in sept on carnival and i snorkeled on my own at a reef & wreck out in front of hammerheads bar & grill..an easy walk from where the tenders were.
it was nice when the tour boats full of cruisers who paid $40 a head to do it for an hour were not around. it was a little crowded but tolerable.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:00 AM

We were in Grand Cayman last Thurs 11/16 - 1 of 6 cruise ships in port that day. It may be normal for them, but as a tourist, I found it overwhelming! I'm not an excursion person (I prefer to head opposite of the crowds) and couldn't believe the hoardes of people standing in huge lines for an hour to board buses to then travel 45 minutes to finally reach some tourist destination. And the hoardes of people in Georgetown shopping - not my idea of really experiencing another place. I don't think you should stay on the ship unless you've been to Grand Cayman before. I would encourage you to get out of Georgetown and experience another place on the island not through an excursion - people rave about Rum Point Beach and Cemetary Beach. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally posted by SSUS_NJ:
We're stopping at Grand Cayman (Georgetown) in two weeks on the Westerdam, and I checked online and found that 5 other ships will be calling there the same day... a possible 14,000 people!! Should I worry about over-crowding in town? Should I just stay on the ship in relax in the quiet, empty spaces with most people getting off?? Is Georgetown too good to miss??

Any input will be appreciated!!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:29 AM

I agree KK... we were there the week before you, on Thursday 11/9 - also 1 of 6 ships. My wife and I took the tender from the ship to Georgetown, walked around for 60 minutes and pushing-shoving crowds, and then got back on the tender to the calm, quiet, empty ship. To me, it was worse than Manhattan on the week before Christmas (native NYC'er here).

It's possible that some of the tours would be quieter, of course...

Closed Thread

Tags
beaches, cayman, caymangeorgetown, crowded, cruises, grand, hell, june, overcrowded, soto