Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 10:14 AM

Hi, would you pre-book a tour in Cozumel or would you do on your own?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:34 AM

The same tours that are offered by the ship you can almost always get the same tour off the ship at a much lower price. That goes for every island. We have never booked a tour through the ship because they are very overpriced. I have been to Cozumel three times and the last time we went to Paradise Beach and it was very nice and we had alot of fun. It was $8 and you could use their chairs, rafts, kayaks, trampoline, ice berg you could climb and there is a slide on the other side of it. It was a very nice place. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Charley
Old 07-13-2006, 11:34 AM

I always book tours off the internet. You don't pay anything thing until you get there. It's always cheaper than book aboard the ship. At least that's been my experience. Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:18 PM

I would also advise that you do a lot of research on cruise forums like this before booking any excursion on Cozumel. This past Jan.'06 we went to a Passion Island, whew! That placed looked like it was hit really hard by that hurricane last year!, looked bad. It was supposed to be an ideallic beach (I'm sure it was at one time)the beach where they film the Corona beer commericals. Two years ago we went to Cozumel and saw the Tulum Ruins, to be honest, prior to booking that, I really didn't want to do it, my wife did. But I have to say it was one of the most awesome excursions I've ever done! It was beautiful there, the beach was one of the prettiest I've seen to date. That excursion also included a half day at a water/snorkel park called Xel Ha. That was awesome to! Just wish we had more time there. I can't tell you which one of the two was better, I liked them both equally. However, this past Jan. Cozumel looked like a war zone, really, so do some good research before you pick an intinerary and be sure to ask about the condition post hurricane.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Scott,

We went to Passion Island this past June and things are much better now. It was a great tour and only a few remnants of the hurricane remain.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:03 PM

That's good to hear that it's okay now. What about the rest of Cozumel? I was there in 2004 and it was beautiful, but this past Jan. '06 the whole island of Cozumel looked like a war zone, I felt like they shouldn't have bothered to stop there. I want to go back there to revisit the Tulum Ruins someday, and Xel Ha was awesome too. (oops, just noticed that I spelled "idyllic" incorrectly on the my previous thread.)
Old 07-20-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Taylor:
(oops, just noticed that I spelled "idyllic" incorrectly on the my previous thread.)
Not to worry, the spelling police don't work that hard on this bored, er, bord, oh well, yew no whut i meen.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:32 AM

Just to reassure everyone that Cozumel is in great shape and doesn't look like a war zone. Back in January quite a lot of reconstruction work was going on and trees/plants around the island still looked quite dead.

Another 6 mths have passed now though and most the reconstruction has finished, we've also had some rain which has brought the greenery back to life.

If you arrive by cruise ship you will still notice structural damage to the piers, other than that you'll probably find it hard to believe that a storm even passed.

You may want to check this link for updates and news about Cozumel Mexico.

Best wishes from Cozumel

Ian
Old 07-21-2006, 11:13 AM

Ian, that must be a different Cozumel than I saw on May 4th, 2006....it looked like a bomb had been dropped and all the trees were totally dead or stripped of all the leaves. I really enjoyed my stay on Paradise Beach, but there is still a lot of evidence of the hurricane. I wish all the vendors and construction crews well in re-establishing like pre-hurricane.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:24 AM

Hi Rodney

Well, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone will have different views on how the island looks depending on where they go exactly

Seriously though, the last 2 months we have had plenty of showers and the island is looking much greener again (in fact, it's raining as I speak!) You would probably be surprised at the difference since you were last here.

Yes, there are still dead or damaged trees if you look for them, but they are fast being over-grown by new greenery - the rate of growth of plants in the tropics during rainy season is incredible.

Best wishes

Ian

Closed Thread

Tags
book, cozumel, mexico, tours