Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2003, 12:25 AM

We're sailing on the Paradise (for the 2nd time) next August. Previously, we had gone on the Western Carib. route, but are taking the Eastern trip this time. I've read quite a bit of negative stuff about the Dominican Republic. I've been to Nassau and am looking forward to seeing St. Thomas for the first time. However, is it worth it considering the stop in the Dominican Republic? Is it that terrible? I'm starting to have second thoughts about this particular cruise. I consider part of the value of cruising the opportunity experienced in visiting new places. If this place isn't worth visiting, I may try something else next August. Please...any advice would be most appreciated! thx

Tom

Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Carnival Paradise 6/03
Old 12-13-2003, 12:25 AM

We're sailing on the Paradise (for the 2nd time) next August. Previously, we had gone on the Western Carib. route, but are taking the Eastern trip this time. I've read quite a bit of negative stuff about the Dominican Republic. I've been to Nassau and am looking forward to seeing St. Thomas for the first time. However, is it worth it considering the stop in the Dominican Republic? Is it that terrible? I'm starting to have second thoughts about this particular cruise. I consider part of the value of cruising the opportunity experienced in visiting new places. If this place isn't worth visiting, I may try something else next August. Please...any advice would be most appreciated! thx

Tom

Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Carnival Paradise 6/03
Old 12-13-2003, 10:01 AM

We've never been to D.R. but we did look into going there last year to rent a house and vac. but decided the U.S. Virgin Island was a safer bet. Seems as if you stay on the resorts it's ok but on your own it's iffy. You'll still enjoy the cruise and st. thomas is great don't be afraid to get of the beaten path everone speaks eng.and the beaches are great.

jbk
Old 12-13-2003, 10:24 AM

If the DR stop is at Casa de Campo, you will enjoy it! It's a large and beautiful resort, with golf, horseback riding, and a great little shopping village made to look like a Mediterranean town.

If not, it will probably stop in an area where there are other decent resorts, and you may be able to arrange some beach time at one of them. In any case, bear in mind that if this port were truly more unsafe than others , Carnival would not stop there.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:14 PM

You can find our cruise review on this site under Carnival Paradise. We took a ship excursion -- the port was too new at that time to plan an independent excursion. We took the Altos de Chavron Riverboat and Artist Village tour. Awesome! Scenic river tour, alongside a tropical forest, then off to a beautiful artist village. I would go back for a land "cruise" if time permitted. Beautiful countryside!
Old 12-18-2003, 07:22 AM

I spent a week in the Dominican Republic and just loved it - it has the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen! The sea was warm and crystal clear, the beaches clean white sand as far as you can see, and we didn't encounter any of the pushy sales people I saw in Jamaica and Mexico. Enjoy!

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, dominican, dominion, republic, visiting, worth