Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 08:56 AM

How are the beaches in Conzumel? Is it worth taking a Excursion or Renting a car?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:05 AM

My opinion.....Cozumel is such a nice place because the people there work extra hard to make sure you have the BEST time. They are honest and WANT you to come back! Their living depends on it. So, trust the excursions. You're much better with a guide or a plan! Driving in Mexico...Cozumel or Nogales..is no barrel of laughs. Let them drive!!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Banned

Hi Elaine. Welcome. Cozumel is beautiful. The beaches are clean, the water crystal clear blue.
We have always rented a jeep and gone it on our own. We have never encountered any trouble. Steve is correct. Locals drive a little nutty. Excursions organized through the ship are good too. It's your call. Our family likes doing Cozumel at our leisure.

BTW... Chankanaab National Park is a great spot for snorkeling, enjoying the beach or for swimming with the dolphins.

Have fun.
A'ndrea
Old 05-18-2007, 12:24 PM

Xel-ha is awesome as well. We did the swim with the dolphins pre-hurricane at Chankanaab Park and that was totally awesome. If you're into ruins Tulum is great, beautiful setting. I've heard Paradise Beach is great, but have not personally been there. Have a wonderful time!!
Old 05-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Tulum by all means if you are into Mayan Culture...it's the only ruin that was built right on the ocean....and of course...there is the SHOPPING....great T-shirt stores....

Bob E
Old 05-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

Any beach resort in Cozumel can be done on your own. Just grab a taxi and go. That way you can drink whatever you want to and leave the driving to them.

However, if you are going to do any of the ruins, I would only go through the ship's excursion. This tour requires that you leave the island (via a ferry ride of about 40 minutes). If you are not on a ship excursion and you are late getting back...you are just out of luck. If you are on a ship excursion, they will wait for you. For some reason, the last 3 times we have been there since October..the ship has had to wait for this tour. (one time for an hour)
Old 05-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator

I am with LHP - just grab a cab and go for it. I don't want to have to think about Mexican DUI laws when on vacation. I feel safe going anywhere on Cozumel on my own.

And I also endorse using the ship for tours that leave Cozumel. It is foolish to try and do this on your own.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:15 AM

cozemel was my favorite spot. no worries at all my sister wanted her passport stamped so we even walked back off the main street about a mile to the immigration office and no hassels at all. we just found this little place on the beach down from where the ships are docked i think it was a scuba diver business but we walked down on their beach they had a little bar and restraunt had a bucket oh del soket beers for 10.00 snorkeled it was like our private beach LOVED IT!! but we also talked to some people we met they told us there was a new all inclusive resort time share going up called pier point? sorry i forgot the name but they said the paid 20.00 which gave them food and drinks and even covered the cost of the taxi
they said they had to listen to a shpeal for a half hour but it was worth it.
i loved cozemel I had one of these water cases that goes around your neck, mine popped open my money was hanging out while my sister was getting her hair braided one of the locals noticed it came up to me and politely told me about this I LOVE COZEMEL>
Alicia
Old 05-19-2007, 07:00 AM

I agree with LHP and others...If you plan on swimming do not attempt it on the east coast as the current is very strong.. Most of the popular beach clubs are located south of town, which is a short ride from the pier...
Old 05-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Thank You All for all the info im on count down waiting for the day to come to go on the cruise and party.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, conzumel, conzumelmexico, cozumel, cruise, docks, dui, law, mexico, party, public, resorts, snorkeling, swimming