Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 PM

Need help deciding what to do for shore excursions on these 4 ports? The cruise starts on March 30 aboard the Carnival Destiny.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 AM

Hi Evelyn Barker, welcome to Cruise-chat. Dominica is a wonderful place to snorkel. Book the excursion to Champagne Reef. You can do the snorkel from the shore, but the beach is not like beaches we are used to in the Caribbean. There are a lot of bolders you have to navigate to get into and out of the water. There are some pictures in my Emerald Princess gallery if you'd like to see, click here if you'd like to look. In Barbados we always take the Tiami catamaran sail/snorkel, beautiful catamaran, great crew, decent snorkeling, good food (if you do the one that includes lunch), great beach break with unlimited rum punch. We did snorkel in Antigua and it might have been the time of the year, but it was loaded with jelly fish, so I'm not going to recommend the snorkeling there. Scott Taylor, a member of our board, visited Pineapple Beach for the day and truly enjoyed it. St. Kitts is a beautiful island, snorkeling is ok, but I really preferred doing the Batik factory tour and the tour of the island better. Hope these suggestions will give you a few ideas. Have a wonderful cruise and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:53 PM

Thank u for all your helpful information. Do you know anything about the St.Kitts Rail Tour?
Evelyn
Old 01-26-2008, 12:04 PM

Does anyone know if renting a bycycle is available for Dominica?
Old 01-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Yes. Beyond organized mountain bike tours there are rental places for general riding.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
quote:
Yes. Beyond organized mountain bike tours there are rental places for general riding.

Thank you, although the island is very hilly, we were looking into biking around, Are the bike rentals near the Cruise ship piers, any names by chance.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator

I don't recall anything specifically by the pier, I just recall tourists being on bikes. I got curious and did some googling this morning and couldn't really find much other than this . Now I am wondering if I am confusing my islands!

They do drive on the left, which can be hazardous to those not used to it.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:05 PM

I have done the champagne snorkel on Dominica that Penny mentioned, and can highly recommend it. I have also done the Kayak/Snorkel adventure on Dominica, however that about wore me out!

On Barbados, I have done the Shipwreck Snorkel and really enjoyed it. Some friends did the Tiami that Penny also mentioned, and had rave reviews.

letitgo-- Unless you can find a ship sponsored bicycle excursion, or are very familiar with the island, I would be very careful about just striking out on your own.

Dwayne
Old 01-28-2008, 05:12 AM
^^^^^
More than important be very carefull I know for experience it can be cheaper but can be a little tricky the islands are beautifull but is better to book directly from Carnival...
I had been two times on Dominica on Carnival Destiny but remember the ship does not wait for no one
Old 01-31-2008, 11:56 AM

Thanks, I found the bike excursion was booked up through HAL. We thought about finding an independent. Why might that be a mistake?

Closed Thread

Tags
antigua, barbados, batik, cruise, factory, horseback, jackson, kitts, ride, roller, st, stop, suggestions, terrence, tour, wacky