Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2006, 08:43 AM

Any recommendations for excursions or activities in Key West, FL?

Edit: Moved to Caribbean Port Chat. RF
Old 01-14-2006, 09:24 AM

We have done a wonderful Catamaran and snorkel tour. Another time we did the Trolley Tour which is also to recommend, because normally the time in Key West is limited and after the tour you have time for the shops and some bars.
The best in Key West is celebrating the Sunset on the Pier. But normally ships already have left the port at this time.
best regards, Marita

Old 01-14-2006, 09:26 AM

Not that you need to eat...But there are some great restaraunts around town. We drove to Key West and were able to walk to Sushi and Cuban Hole-in-the-wall places that were great.

We took a jet ski tour around the island, it was great. You see the island, houses and other sights you wouldnt see from land. We also rented a boat and went where ever we wanted. There is a tower about Seven miles out. Great for snorkeling. Also a sand Bar down by what I believe was a military Base. We took a Kayak tour. 5 minutes into that tour my nine year old and I saw a nurse shark swim right by us. We went thru mangroves, open water. It was well worth the time, plus you got exercise.

There are plenty of things to do in Key West.

Explorer 02-06
Mariner of the Seas
with the boys
Old 01-17-2006, 08:08 AM

My DH and I cruised to Key West in 2003. We did the Trolley Tour, you can get off and on around the Island, went to the Aquarium and the Wreckers Museum which was very interesting. After all of that we still had time to walk around to shop and eat. You must try the chocolate covered Key Lime Pie on a stick. Delicious!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:45 AM

You need to try the Blond Giraffe for Key Lime pie--outrageous!! If you're going to be there at sun down, the pier is a great place to be. There are some great bars close by the pier as well. Lots of history in Key West, great snorkeling.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:05 PM

We plan to take the bike tour... love to bike and it sounds interesting. Anybody ever take that one???
Old 01-20-2006, 09:22 PM

We did a wonderful kayak tour of the backwater area, under and around the banyan trees. You can get a one or two person kayak. The group leader led us through interesting passageways, pointing out sea cucumbers and other fish and vegetation. At one point we all gathered around the group leader while she reached down into the water and pulled up a live conch, which she explained in detail to us. We had a great time, and still had time to walk around "downtown" before re-boarding the ship.

We have also taken the trolley tour, and visited the Mel Fisher Museum, also very interesting.

Sandy
Old 02-01-2006, 05:12 AM

We also went to the aquarium, it was alot better
than anticipated. Plus right outside the entrance is a great conch fritter shack to get some great fritters and grouper fingers.
But the place we went to that was the best was a newly opened Pirates Museum. The kids loved it, and you will too. They definetly put some time and money into it, and it shows.

Newkie
Old 02-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Mel Fisher's museum is a must-see. I work with a guy who took part in the recovery of items from the Atocha shipwreck. Quite impressive story.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave56:
Mel Fisher's museum is a must-see. I work with a guy who took part in the recovery of items from the Atocha shipwreck. Quite impressive story.
Dave, I saw a big exhibit of Atocha things several years ago in Albany, NY, and ended up buying a beautiful necklace made from silver that was recovered from the ship.

The video they showed of the whole history of the operation was incredible.

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
boat, carribean, cruise, key, keywest, places, port, royal, ship, shopping, stop, things, tips, walk, west