Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2003, 05:43 AM

We're headed to Cozumel for a day from Rhapsody of the Seas in a few weeks. Research on this site has given me great Cozumel ideas...THANKS! We're going to go on our own in Cozumel, and Nachi Cochum and Mr. Santos are probable beach destinations, based upon your recommendations. As I look at the map of beaches on Cozumel, I don't see those listed..I see del Sol - but we don't want to go there because of crowds...Can you help me get oriented? Where are those beaches? west/east? between what other beaches?
Thanks!
txtraveler
Old 03-11-2003, 06:03 AM

I think I answered "part" of my question by looking again at Ross' suggetion - cozumelinsider.com - which has a great beach chart. It looks like Nachi-Cocum DOES charge now - perhaps it's the minimum purchase they are referring to. Has anyone done the package purchases there? ie $35 for open bar domestic drinks (is that like Corona?) and lunch?
Additional help on some of these beaches would be appreciated - also lookingat the Plaza Azul choice.
txtraveler
Old 03-11-2003, 06:11 AM

Another question on beaches: these that seem to be run by "corporations"....do they take credit cards, or is this a "cash only" situation? We plan to take money for taxis, tips, etc...but want to carry as little as possible. Also, assuming all vendors, shops, etc are cash only?
Thanks! txtraveler
Old 03-11-2003, 06:12 AM

Nachi Cocom does not charge, but they won't be very happy if you lay around the pool all day and don't buy a few drinks.

Playa Azul operates the same way and offers a more peaceful and less populated ambiance.

The only beach club that I know of that charges to enter is Playa Sol. A little known fact about Playa Sol -- there is a public access entrance that runs along the south side of their property. You can walk down that road and use the beach, which is federal property and open to everyone.

Enjoy!

Ross in Cozumel
Old 03-11-2003, 07:10 AM

Thanks, Ross! I knew I could count on you to answer! We would absolutely "repay" by patronizing their bar / food, etc. Do you have an answer to the credit card vs cash question, or do you have an opinion on the food/open bar packages?
txtraveler
Old 03-15-2003, 05:31 AM

Sending you this follow-up post again...do you have an opinion on food / bar packages at the beach clubs? AND do you know if this is a credit card or cash only situation?
Ross' help has been so valuable to me for Cozumel planning! Thanks!...anyone out there know the answer to these questions from my previous post...because Ross could be cruising somewhere right now, and not able to answer! I hope so!
Thanks, ALL, for your help,
txtraveler
Old 03-15-2003, 07:42 AM

No, I'm not at sea -- I'm right here at home in Cozumel. Now that I live here full time, don't do much cruising.

I really would suggest that you bring traveler's checks or cash. Unfortunately, there is the rare occasion when someone's credit card number is stolen here in Mexico (and probably in other countries as well), so I would suggest using your card only for things you might purchase in advance of your arrival and not handing it over to anyone while you're here on the island.

Obviously, if you decide to rent a car while you're here, you will need to present a credit card before they'll let you take the car. There are a few reputable rental agents that I could recommend.

Another reason to not use your credit card, is because the business can give you whatever exchange rate they wish and may also charge you up to an additional 7% for using the card.

Glad to hear my suggestions have been of help. If the information I provide means that someone will have an unforgettable day on this island that I have come to love, I will have done my job.

Enjoy!

Ross in Cozumel
Old 03-15-2003, 05:22 PM

Thanks, Russ! I guess you feel like you LIVE on a cruise,....living in Cozumel!
Thanks for answering; your help HAS been great, and I really appreciate it! You Have Done Your Job...our day in Cozumel WILL BE AN UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE...as we try to make all our travel days! Thanks again! We'll raise a glass to you while in Cozumel! txtraveler and hubby

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, buy, cochum, cocum, comen, cozumel, cruise, mexico, mr, nachi, playa, port, santos, transportation, trip