Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 AM

First time cruisers with wife and two teen boys. We want to snorkel, maybe cave tubing, but also shop. What are best options for these and is Cozumel better than Belize for some of these or vice versa? Also, what's the story on buying jewelry in either place? Is it cheap and fake or can you get quality stuff? Thanks!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 AM
morning guy-We have found that we prefer Cozumel for shopping particularly leather goods. There are a host of recommendations as to the water sports activities on cruise-chat if you will utilize the search function for Cozumel.

As to Belize-the city tour and the Mayan ruins at Altun Ha will give you a tremendous understanding of the country and of Central America in general. Well worth the modest cost. I hope this gets you started in your research. Welcome to cruise-chat. I hope you will spend many hours here learning and sharing cruise stories,tales and info!

Bon Voyage!

BillyBuzzy
Old 10-08-2008, 11:59 AM

Hi morning guy, welcome to Cruise-Chat. There is cave tubing in Belize and excellent snorkeling in either Cozumel or Belize. BillyBuzzy has some excellent advice on shopping. We did the dolphin swim in Cozumel at Chankanaab Park and it was excellent, the swim is expensive, but an amazing experience. I'm not sure which ship you're on and if Cozumel and Belize are your only ports, but if St. Thomas is one of your ports, it's the best one for jewelry shopping. St. Maarten is also a good place for jewelry. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:46 PM

I've done the snorkeling at Chankanaab Park (same place that has the dolphins) & it was quite nice. It's also a beautiful place.

I love the shopping in Cozumel. They have a lot of sterling silver here & I've bought many things & haven't had a problem.

Never been to Belize so can't tell you anything.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi Morning Guy,

I've been to both places many times and save your shopping for Cozumel....Lots of leather, silver jewelry and that's were we get the T-shirts for the Grandkids....Tulum is a great tour to go on while in Cozumel too....Belize is not a place to shop....free Belikin Beer after you tender onto land.....I've taken the Belize River and Altun Ha ruin trip....very nice...I'm going to do it again in Jan. with a brother-in-law that is an engineer and wants to see how the ruins were built. I would rather have him see Chichen Itza, but we aren't going near there...Downtown Belize is probably a no go...but the countryside is great...Happy cruising...

Bob E
Old 10-09-2008, 12:14 PM

did snorkeling in Belize. It was really nice. A little reef/island we had to ourselves. Our daughter who doesn't like marine life "sunned" and the rest of us explored the underwater at our leisure. We have snorkeled all over the caribbean and this was really nice--nicer than a lot of places we have been--for what we got to see in terms of fish and marine life. There were also kayaks and a swim-up bar/barge there. We were on a ship sponsored tour so we did not have to tender to shore but were picked up and dropped off at the ship by our transportation. The ship anchors a looooong way from shore in Belize so not having to take two boats to get to our activity was nice.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 PM
I really enjoyed shopping in Cozumel. My favorite store was Los Cinco Soles (The Five Suns). There might be more than one Los Cinco Soles store. The main one is in dowtown Cozumel (San Miguel). Within that main one is the restaurant Pancho's Backyard. It is considered to be one of the best restaurants in Cozumel.

I can't give you any first hand advice on diving, swimming and snorkeling. All I can tell you is that people who dived, swimed and snorkeled in Cozumel said it was great; especially regarding Chakanaab National Park.

I never been to Belize. Sorry I can't help with that destination.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:09 AM

Viva Mexico is another nice store that has more quality type merchandise than the average shop. After shopping all day for a particular item and finding fakes and questionable jewelry content, it was great to find this store. I try to stop in every year, just to see what they have.

The address is: Avenue Rafael Melgar Calle 3 Sur

Dwayne
Old 10-13-2008, 12:33 PM

Have a great cruise! My family and I were in Belize last winter and didn't do an excursion. I would NOT recommend this. :-)

There are tiny shops a-plenty, but they'll bore you very quickly. Do eat at the Wet Lizard if you get the chance--try the conch fritters!

We ended up back at the ship pretty early--just after lunch...but it was fine because there was plenty of room at the pool and bars.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:46 AM

Shopping in Cozumel definitely ... I love Rachet and Romero for the sparkly jewelery. They will bargain as well.

In Belize we were not impressed with the tour we did but it was mostly to just see some of the sights anyway. The shopping there is not great. I will recommend Harborview restaurant though. It is down the hill when you exit the terminal area - to the right. Excellent service, excellent food and great deck downstairs for eating.

Closed Thread

Tags
beer, belikin, belize, cave, chankanaab, cozumel, minnesota, park, port, rachet, ratchet, romero, shop, snorkeling, tubing