Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Dominica Rainforst Aerial Tram (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/21151-dominica-rainforst-aerial-tram.html)

hansfamily 01-07-2006 07:34 PM

Has anyone done this attraction? What was cost? Cruising with boys ages 7 & 10 in mid-Jan, 2006. Thank you.

jantoby 01-19-2006 08:53 AM

Im doing same in Feb. Cost is $55 per person. I don't know if there's a child price. Local taxi/tour guide gave me details and can meet you at ship and take you to the Tram. You can contact Fredos on fredos40@hotmail.com If you do the Tram, wd love to hear what it was like.

hansfamily 01-23-2006 06:31 AM

Just got back from our cruise! We did Fredos' all day tour and it was wonderful! Fredos is wonderful! We started out at 10:00 and did Emerald Falls, lots of mountain driving through fruit orchards, ate lunch then he dropped us off at the Tram. Awesome tropical rainforest experience! Bring along ponchos and umbrella. The gondola is covered but still much rain. Take the hike over the bridge--it's very steady and safe. Fredos picked us up moments after the Tram ride was finished and we continued to Trafalgar Falls, Botanical gardens and back to ship arriving back at 5:15. It's a very full day but worth every moment and penny. Have fun!

jantoby 01-24-2006 10:46 AM

Im so pleased you enjoyed it. I have to get back to Freddos to arrange/negotiate my day there for February. Would you mind telling me how much the day cost, including the Tram? Thanks Jan

jantoby 01-24-2006 10:48 AM

If your cruise took you to Tortola, Martinique, Grenada or Antigua Id love to hear of any "must sees". Thanks Jan

hansfamily 01-24-2006 01:36 PM

Fredos charged us US$40 for the Emerald Pool, Trafalgar Falls, Layou Valley, Mr. Nice Fruits Stand, Botanical Garden tour. He charged us an additional US$55 per person adult and a site pass (park entrance fee) of US$2 per person for the Tram.

hansfamily 01-24-2006 01:38 PM

Sorry, but our cruise did not take us to those other locations. We did St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, Aruba. Happy cruising!

jantoby 01-24-2006 02:49 PM

Sounds good! Many thanks.

cruiser1962 01-25-2006 05:50 AM

Hello Hans family!! Were you by chance on the Carnival Destiny? Did you sail from San Juan? We are taking the same trip in Sept. and wanted to get some fresh feedback on the trip. Any comments? Good/ Bad? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

hansfamily 01-25-2006 06:31 AM

Yes, we just returned from the Destiny out of San Juan. It was a great trip. You don't get much time aboard the ship before you're in St. Thomas the next morning, then Dominica, then Barbados so your first day at sea is the 4th day, so you're quite busy at first if you get off on each island.

Fredos is a wonderful island guide in Dominica. For US$40 per person he'll take you on a 5-6 hour island tour you'll never forget. It's through mountainous tropical rainforest including waterfalls, orchards, plantations, Mr. Nice Fruits stand. It's fabulous--a "must do" day. His website is fredos40@hotmail.com or freddy536.tripod.com. You'll save bundles of $ instead of taking the ship's shore excursion.

If you just want to "see/tour" the islands without going out in boats/snorkeling just take a taxi tour from the end of the pier. They all have fixed rates -- Aruba 2 1/2 hours, US$20 per person. St. Thomas was 2 hours for US$25 per person I think. They are safe, they get you back to the ship in plenty of time, they go on your time schedule and they save you much money over the ships' shore excursion tours.

Aruba is flat, desert island with cacti. It's worth taking a taxi tour to see the Natural Bridge (which has now collapsed) and Atlantic coast side.

The dinner menu is wonderful in the dining rooms. The evening shows in the Palladium are "must sees". The sea was a little rough from Aruba back to San Juan--pretty common.

We learned you can start the embarking process as early as 1:00 or 1:30 on Sunday. There is a place to store luggage in old San Juan before/after the cruise for $2 per bag so you can "tour" the sites without luggage if you want. It's right across the street from the ship terminal.

Hope that's helpful. Is this your first cruise? Have fun. Feel free to ask other questions if you want. Tina