Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   San Juan, St. Thomas, Antiqua, Tortola, BVI & Bahamas (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/21367-san-juan-st-thomas-antiqua-tortola-bvi-bahamas.html)

brneyes 04-25-2008 07:03 AM

If you have any questions about the Eastern Caribbean islands that I visited recently, please feel free to ask.

papa60 04-26-2008 06:46 PM

Tell me about the Bahamas. What did you do there?

penny3333 04-28-2008 10:57 AM

Hi brneyes, welcome back. Which one was your favorite? What excursions did you do?

Papa55, I highly suggest the Atlantis on Paradise Island (right across the bridge). There is a great public beach adjacent to the property. Great way to spend a day.

brneyes 04-30-2008 07:21 AM

When we arrived in the Bahamas,I knew I wanted to see, if nothing else, Atlantis.

When we got off the ship it looked like we would have to take a tender/boat or something to get there, but you walk quite a distance, and will find where you need to be. There will be people there "trying" to get passengers for their vehicles to take them on tours. We told the man what we wanted to see/do (there were about 8 of us)and he told us what he would do, which would incorporate what we wanted to see/do. We drove all around the Bahamas, seeing where the low/poor people live, then going to the high class area, which beautiful homes. The Bahamas seems to "me", to have light colors or pastels in their homes or buildings. Our guide took us by Anna Nicole Smith's burial spot, but they were having a funeral that day, so we were not able to go in, but we could take pictures close by. We also drove by where Howard Stern is still living. We then went to Atlantis, which is BIG, and beautiful, at least a block long. From there, those that wanted to go to the beach, he dropped off, and then took us back to port.

Nassau in the Bahamas is an island to see.

brneyes

brneyes 04-30-2008 07:53 AM

Probably in order would be St. Thomas (we took the Sunny Liston Tour and that was very nice and reasonable in price.), San Juan and Bahamas.

As you mentioned, there is a beach close by to Atlantis, and I had read that you could walk there from Atlantis, but when we took the tour, it seemed like we would have had a distance to walk to the beach. The beach is FREE, which is nice.

San Jaun is beautiful also, as I really got to see it GOOD for the first time. As I said the 5 of us walked at least 6 - 8 miles, going up hill to the fort, and down to the beach. There are also horse/carriages to take you around also. When you're down at the beach, you look up at the high rock walls, and they are beautiful. There is also a very large tree (it looks like 3 threes have grown together), and it is beautiful.

Tortola is nice, although small, but it reminds me of St. Lucia with it's straw markets, which are nice, if you want to save money. http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gifIt has the Queens staircase which is nice to walk/see.

Hope this will help.

brneyes

Walking back to the ship, and seeing the ship's front all in blue lights was beautiful too.

papa60 05-01-2008 02:14 PM

Ty brwneyes and penny. We will be taking our 8 year old grand daughter in Feb. I have heard many wonderful things about Atlantis. Can you tell me more? What does it cost? How do we get to it? Are there other things she would like? Thanks http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

Jerome 05-02-2008 03:53 AM

brneyes

what did you think of antiqua is there much else on tortola except the straw markets. any high lights would be helpful.

penny3333 05-06-2008 06:28 AM

Papa55, Atlantis is right across the bridge from where you dock. Take the cab and NOT the water taxi. The water taxi is less expensive, but they pack way too many people on board. There are different packages you can purchase at Atlantis, or you can just walk around some of the grounds for free. The beach next to Atlantis is Cabbage Beach, and it is free. Your granddaughter will like everything. There is an aquarium that you can walk through, but the grounds themselves are just amazing. They do have a website, here it is if you'd like to look around.

Jerome, there is a great beach in Tortola. It's on the west side of the island. Just ask one of the local cab drivers to take you to the beach near where Jimmy Buffet wrote Cheeseburger in Paradise, and they can take you there. There is also a restaurant on the north side of the island where the Caribbean and Atlantic meet. You can actually see a line in the water, it's really quite beautiful. I didn't get to see as much of Antigua as I would have like to, my hubby had one too many rum punches on our snorkel trip. Anyway, Scott Taylor and his wife went to Pineapple Beach. It was an all-inclusive and they really enjoyed it. He said the beach was beautiful and the drinks were plentiful. Right where you dock is a shopping area. There is a cathedral in St. John's (the capital), and a harbor where the yachts go (can't remember the name), but they have some great shops there as well. We snorkeled there, but the water was too full of jelly fish for me to enjoy it. It was crystal clear water, great visibility, but I don't like trying to manuever through jelly fish-they hurt. We were there in October, so it might have just been the time of the year, I don't know. Oh, there are the Baths in Virgin Gorda which is across the bridge from Tortola. I think it's about a 30 minute ride.

brneyes 05-07-2008 07:36 AM

Pappa55, it doesn't cost anything to get into Atlantis, just finding a way to get there. That is why we had a large taxi that held about 8 of us. We didn't know how we were going to get to Atlantis from the ship, but as we kept walking we found people who drove taxi's that were trying to get passengers. We told them what we wanted to see/do and they take us on a tour of Nassau, etc. Very good, and the price is around $25 which wasn't bad. If you just want to go to Atlantis, they may have taxi's that do that also.

Atlantis is very large and sort of a light pastel pink or samon in color. In front there are beautiful waterfalls, bronze horses. Looking out in different directions from the front or side you will see buildings not far away in pastel colors which are beautiful. As you enter the building there are very large pillars holding up the building, and beautiful in design. The building is vast in openness, with waterfalls in different areas, with designs that are so different, that it is hard to explain what they look like. There is a large aquarium downstairs. (I had read that to see the aquarium you would have to pay.) I checked on the price of the ticket and it was $38. I didn't check into it further, but I'm sure there is more to just seeing the aquarium for the $38. We walked downstairs, and you can see quite a bit of the aquarium which must be at least 10' high or more. It really dwarfs you when you are standing in front of it. It wraps around part of the downstairs. There are turtles, large/small fish and stingrays. I believe there is also a beautiful water park there also for adults/children.

I think it is a must see, if you don't pay "anything" to see anything.

brneyes

brneyes 05-07-2008 02:54 PM

Actually we didn't see much of Antiqua, as it was pouring down rain. Maybe if we had taken a tour, I'm sure we would have seen more.

Tortola is nice and very colorful, but it is a small island, with high mountains and valleys. We were going to go to the beach, but the wind was really blowing, so we didn't.

Tortola would be a nice island to see and take a tour, if you haven't seen St. Lucia (my favorite). Once you see St. Lucia, I don't think any island would compare to it. Actually I would rather go to St. Lucia than Hawaii, and most people would probably disagree with me.

brneyes