Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 AM

Hi
Anyone know if there is hurricane damage at Chankanaab? I know that Wilma did a lot but is the park "all better now'? Also is it touristy, it looks like Paradise beach is but am I wrong. I'm looking for an really island experience( white sand, palm trees, tropical drinks)in Cozumel
Thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Chankanaab was rebuilt after Hurricane Wilma, however the storm damage to the coral was substantial and that will take years for nature to revive. The park is more touristy than it used to be, but then that is true for virtually all the beaches on the west coast of Cozumel.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:32 PM

Hello....we were there last week...ok, we actually were on a dive boat and we dove at Chankanaab Shallows. From the boat...things looked to be in great shape.

Dave is right, the reefs took a beating from Wilma. However, it's amazing what nature can do and the reefs have really started coming back. We've dove there every year since Wilma and we were really impressed this trip.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 01-31-2009, 07:12 AM

chanacanob is beautiful. we love it. we went before the hurricane and have been several times after. they really have done a great job bringing it back.
before the hurricane it was always packed, not now, i think people think it is still torn up. but it is beautiful. I kinda enjoy it not being crowded.
I must say chanacanob is one of my favorite places to go... just so beautiful.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:06 AM

Did they put the floating platform back in the snorkel area? I've not been since Wilma.

Dwayne
Old 02-01-2009, 06:25 AM

yes the platform is there and they have added so much to the park, there is even a kiddie pool there. before wilma it was so very crowded, now not so much, lots of chairs, lots of room.

Closed Thread

Tags
chankanaab, chankanab, cruise, hurricaine, park, review, wilma