Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 07:48 AM

We love to snorkel while in port. we have tried to use underwater disposable cameras and have never had good results. can anyone recommend an underwater disposable camera that is good or an inexpensive reuseable underwater camera?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 AM

Fiji makes a disposable underwater camera but most of those do not have a flash. Buy an under water housing from a dive shop & use your regular camera.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-30-2008, 10:12 AM

olympus makes several models of underwater digital camera.

I have a 720 sw which is no longer available but there have been several newer models to replace it.

the sw stands for shock and water. The camera is small with a good lcd display. What makes it really useful is that it can be dropped from 5 feet is crush proof up to 220 lbs and is waterproof to 10 ft (i think the newer ones may be good to 33ft)

we just came back from a cruise and it took great pictures. It was nice not having to worry about ruining your camera.

It also has the ability to shoot video with sound underwater as well

I paid less than $300 and I believe the newer ones ar similarly priced.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:44 AM
I have had excellent results with Fuji underwater disposables. If you are using it for snorkeling the lack of flash isin't an issue.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:30 AM

The Fuji disposables do a pretty good job. I really want to get one of the Olympus models that Wilson mentioned. I tried last year and they were always sold out.

Dwayne
Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 AM

I've been using the Fuji and Kodak disposables. Not bad pictures at all, and since we only snorkel, not having a flash isn't a problem.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:39 AM

Let me cast a vote for the Pentax Optio W30.

I bought one (actually its predecessor, the W20) for my daughter to use snorkeling, on our boat, around the pool, basically any wet environment. It has been a champ.

We've taken it snorkeling at St. Thomas last year, Cabo over thanksgiving, and two weeks ago in Cozumel. And it was great climbing the falls at Dunns River. The under water video is some of the funniest we have from our trips.

the unexpected surprise, is just how good it performs on dry land. My Canon died on our most recent trip, and it was great to have this camera as a "back up'. It was a lifesaver to have a second camera along.

There are a couploe of tricks to remember with either the Olympus or the Pentax. They are only waterproof down to limited level; they are for snorkeling, not diving. And they are only rated for a limited time in the water, generally 30 minutes. The other thing is remember to rinse them with fresh water after being submersed in salt water; we usually use somee of the bottled water we're carrying.

Check out www.dpreview.com for more information about digital cameras than you'll ever need.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 PM
I would reccomend spending more money on a digital camera that can go underwater. I purchased Panasonic FX-01, and the underwater case. With the underwater case (sold separately) the camera can go 40Meters (or about 130feet) underwater. Here is one of the pictures I took underwater with the camera while snorkeling in Trunk Bay:
Old 05-03-2008, 01:10 PM

I went to eBay a few years ago and typed in UNDERWATER CAMERA and a bunch of em came up. I wound up buying the one that was about $25 and we've had it ever since. Takes GREAT pictures and was inexpensive. Might wanna try that.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:40 PM

Steve, was it an Olympus? I have been trying to get one of those models. I don't have the extra money for an underwater digital, or would get enough use out of it.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
camera, caribbean, royal, underwater