Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2006, 09:15 AM

I have heard that tendering onto Cozumel takes alot of time and isn't worth the trouble. Has anyone experienced this recently?

Edit: Moved to Caribbean Port Chat. RF
Old 04-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Tendering always takes some time, but it works well in Cozumel and is certainly worth the trouble. Cozumel is a great place and they are getting back to normal. In fact, a couple weeks ago an RCCL ship actually docked at International Pier. Not sure if they are doing this routinely again, or if it was a one time test. The pier still has some damage.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:03 AM

I don't like it when ships have to tender but it is a fact of cruising life - especially when Mother Nature destroys docks. It does take some time and patience but nothing earth shattering. I have found if you wait for an hour or so after the first tender leaves and you come back to the ship about an hour and a half before she sails out you miss the long lines and crowds. I love Cozumel and every time I go there it's fun to see the changes/progress they are making. It has really grown up and changed in the past 15 years.

I wouldn't let the fact that you have to tender determine whether or not you get off the ship. If you think you might be interested in what Cozumel has to offer; go take a look.

Caribbean Travel Articles
Old 04-23-2006, 12:16 AM

It's not such an problem tendering in, my experience has been the lines that are so long getting back on the ship at sailing time, cause everyone waits till the last min. to catch the last tender back, and that's where the line comes in... So maybe consider just coming back to the ship earlier...to avoid that pain...
But you really must enjoy the island and the people, even if just for a little while...
Good luck
Old 04-23-2006, 05:55 AM

I just got off the Triumph yesterday from the western carib itinery. We were in Coz last monday. The RC ship was docked at a temporary pier. All the other ships were tendering.

Yes, it takes some time to tender. It is a hurry up and wait situation particularly if you are on a ship excursion. We waited to get off the ship around 10 am and did not have problem. Probaby no more than a 20 minute wait.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Administrator

We always return to the ship early because this is when it isn't crowded. It is quite relaxing to have the pool almost to ourselves. For tender ports we usually find no line and walk right onto the tender.

This is when I take photos of the ship too. The lack of passengers makes it easier.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:07 PM

If the itenerary says from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, which is what my schedule is for Cozumel, when does the tendring begin? and when is the last tender back onto the ship for leaving port? I don't want to be late !
Thanks for the input from experience.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Tendering usually starts shortly after the ship is cleared by local authorities. So if you arrive by 0800 I'd expect tendering to start by no later than 0820 assuming the Mexican officials are quick.

The usual rule is that the last tender leaves the port 45 minutes prior to the ship's departure. And they will leave you if you miss the last tender.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:24 PM

Good news, by October, 4 cruise ships will be able to dock daily again. There's a story about it on this Cozumel news and information website.

Ian
Old 04-24-2006, 01:18 PM

Thanks Dave56. I can tell you are retired military, using "GI" time. My son is E-6 in USMC just started his 11th year, and he loves it. Thanks for your past service, whichever branch it was!

Closed Thread

Tags
cozumel, cruise, day, ship, tendered, tendering