Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2005, 12:38 AM

Would appreciate some help with planning excursions. Our stops are Aruba, Curacao, Dominica, St. Thomas, and Half Moon Cay. Also, which activities are best booked through the ship? Are some offered only ashore or perhaps less costly ashore? In Alaska, there are many tour providers waiting at the docks. Is it the same in the Carib?
Thanks, as always,
Rose
July '06 Tahitian Princess Honolulu to Papeete
Old 11-24-2005, 09:47 AM

We have done Western, Eastern & Southern, and Southern was by far my favorite. In Aruba, we booked a rental car in advance through Hertz or Budget. The rate I got on the internet was about 1/2 of what they were quoting people at the port. The rental cars were also located right at the port. This was a very easy island to drive on and they drive on the same side of the road as Canada and the U.S.

By having a rental car, we were able to visit all of the places that the ship's various tours were going to. We had plenty of time to sight-see, shop and visit the beach.

In general I would not recommend a rental car on other caribbean islands, but it was a great way to go on Aruba.

Last time in St. Thomas, we took the tour over to St. John to go snorkeling. The beach was very crowded and there were so many people in the water that it was hard to see anything.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:34 PM

Great advice, FarmerJohn (by the way, my dad is one of those!!)

Many thanks, Rose
Old 11-26-2005, 07:26 AM

I'm planning a similar trip. Great advice for Aruba, I am so leary of renting cars on the islands but it's good to know it would be worth it here. We're travelling with another couple so double bonus on the savings factor as well.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 12-06-2005, 04:53 AM

In most of the ports, there are taxi drivers willing to take you where ever you would like to go, however, you can be very intimidated since you have over a hundred drivers hollering at you. i would strongly recommend that you book in advance for the ports; book privately since it is much cheaper than the ship and you can be sure that the money is going to the locals than to some major company.

I would like to agree with farmerjohn on the rental of a car on Aruba. it is definitely the best way to go.

In Dominica, I would like to recommend Fredos of Fredos Tours. His email is fredos40@hotmail.com. Here is a review that you can read to hear what others are saying.Fredos Tours-Dominica

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/explor...?id=0000000007
Happy cruising
Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 AM

Do you remember who you went through exactly to rent a car in Aruba? We will be there in january. Thanks,
Diana
Old 12-06-2005, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deefee:
Do you remember who you went through exactly to rent a car in Aruba? We will be there in january. Thanks,
Diana
We used Thrifty. They had a small office at the pier. Here is a link to them:

Thrifty Car Rental.

Hope this helps; and congratulations on your upcoming cruise.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:43 PM

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:57 AM

I don't know if you enjoy snorkeling, but in Dominica the Champagne Beach snorkel is excellent. I would book with the ship on this one, but you can do it on your own. The first dive we did on our own, the driver took us to the beach picked us up in a couple of hours and took us to Trafalga Falls. He charged us $20.00. The problem was, the beach is solid rock. You had to walk down rocks to get there as well. Once in the water, after being pounded into the rocks, the dive was wonderful. The next time we booked on board, had a wonderful catamaran sail to the dive spot and enjoyed a beautiful snorkel. It was nice not having bruises.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:17 PM

Thanks, everyone, for all the info. Deefee, when in Jan are you going? We are on Volendam, Jan 12 from Ft Lauderdale. By the way, coolchick, I looked at the Thrifty link but not sure which of the pickup locations to choose. Help??
Rose

Closed Thread

Tags
aruba, car, caribbean, caribean, carribean, cruise, cruises, diving, forums, islands, powered, rental, reviews, south, vbulletin