Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 05:30 PM

So I'm in the very early stages of looking at another cruise late this year, and am looking at a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise. There are 2 different lines I'm looking at, and one has a little cheaper price, which stops in Isla Roatan and Belize, and the other, slightly higher priced itinerary, stops in Labadee, Haiti and Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

Both of the above itineraries also stop in Grand Cayman and Cozumel, both of which I've been to before. The question is, should I go for Haiti and Jamaica, or Isla Roatan and Belize?

I've read mixed reviews on Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I figure worst case scenario, I'll book only excursions through the ship or just remain on the ship.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 01-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Administrator

It depends on what you want to do while in the ports.

Since Labadee is Royal Caribbean's private resort you don't have much choice there. Either stay on the ship or it is a beach day. Roatan and Belize are both poor and in the same league as Jamaica, although Belize and Roatan have made improvements to the port facilities. Plus they are both usually less of a hassle for passengers than is Jamaica, in the panhandling sense. However I've read recent reports where Roatan was getting to be a pushier place.

Frankly I'd go with the ship that is more interesting or new to me, since neither itinerary is especially interesting save for Cozumel. But that is me.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Thanks Dave. I was leaning towards RCI, and I am perfectly fine with a beach day in Labadee, as that is what I was planning on if I did that itinerary.

I'm not even sure if I'll go through with this, because we may end up doing a family vacation (non-cruise) somewhere else, since my sister is done with grad school in May.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Administrator

I don't know the importance to you, but getting enough cruise points with RCI to get to platinum level is useful. Once at platinum you get priority embarkation, usually priority debarkation too, and complimentary custom air deviation. Plus you get equal recognition with Celebrity's program at that level. Being Gold C&A is useless, perhaps by design.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:37 PM

Thanks again, Dave. I was actually thinking if I go through with this, then I may end up joining RCI's Crown and Anchor Society, if that is what you're referring to.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I may end up joining RCI's Crown and Anchor Society
You haven't joined already? Why wait? You can do it online. That way you get the basic gold member perks and establish your membership. It doesn't cost you anything.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:

You haven't joined already? Why wait? You can do it online. That way you get the basic gold member perks and establish your membership. It doesn't cost you anything.
Good point. I just did, and figure as long as I'm cruising with them, I might as well be earning the credits towards rewards and perks with them. Living on the east coast limits somewhat of where I go when I do cruise. It's mainly the Caribbean, New England, and Eastern Canada. Maybe down the road I'll fly out west and do a Mexico cruise, or a west coast cruise.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:39 AM

When you joined Crown & Anchor, did it "find" your two cruises you already did with them? If not, you can give them a call with your past cruise dates, so they can be added to your account.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:05 AM

Yes, it did find both of my previous cruises that I took, and they are both reflected in my Crown and Anchor status
Old 01-02-2010, 03:20 PM

I like Haiti better than Belize because it is not a tender port. I value being able to walk on and off the ship at will. I also have a particular fondness for Labadee, Haiti, as a relaxing day. Belize is a shallow water port and the tender ride is a bit long.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
belize, caribbean, isla, jamaica, mexico, ochos, ou, port, review, rios, roatan, rotan, royal, ship, stay