Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 04:15 AM

WHere are the ruins easier to see and get to? We visit Belize and Costa Maya. I am trying to decide which island to visit them. ALso are there any tours that anyone knows about not connected through the cruise ships?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:30 AM

We have not been to Belize, but did tour the ruins out of Costa Maya December 04. We booked thru the ship. It was a very interesting and informative tour. We toured Chacchoben ruins. I can definitely advise to take water with you. It was very hot and involved lots of walking on uneven ground. There was some minor climbing of steps. You don't get to climb on the "buildings" but there are the stone steps that lead up to where the restored buildings are located. Again, make sure each person in the party takes water with them ...
Old 01-07-2006, 11:26 PM

can you please describe in more detail the Chacchoben Ruins? Is it worth it? How is the snorkeling in Costa Maya? Trying to decide which of the 2 we want to do... Please help. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2006, 03:00 AM

If ruins are of interest to you, then I would definitely plan to visit them from Costa Maya and save your snorkeling for one of the out islands in Belize (the reef there offers fantastic snorkeling).

As for Chaccoben, here is a link to a site that provides pics and details for all the ruins in the area: http://www.locogringo.com/research/ruins.html

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-08-2006, 01:03 PM

which of the out islands would you receommend in Belixe to snorkel? Shark Ray Alley sounds nice, but I've also heard Caye Caulker is amazing. Suggestions?
Old 01-08-2006, 02:07 PM

which of the out islands would you recommend in Belize to snorkel? Shark Ray Alley sounds nice, but I've also heard Caye Caulker is amazing. Suggestions?
Old 01-08-2006, 04:41 PM

Which cruise are you going on?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:27 PM

Hello. We have been to Belize twice with Royal Carribean. In June 04, and a few weeks ago. Both times we booked our excursions via RCCL, and we did the Lamanai & The New River Safari, it is one single excursion. You take a bus about 45 minutes to the New River. Then you get on a boat for about 20 miles, spotting wildlife along the way. Then, you come to the ruins. It is a VERY large complex, with huge carved mask carved into pyramids. Then there is an even larger pyramid that both times there, they let you climb to the top. I did it, you can see over the entire Belize rainforest. It is spectacular. It is worth the time to get there. They also feed you a wonderful belize lunch, with chicken, rice, and other goodies. They do not advertise on the excursion that you can climb it, but both times they let the tour groups do it. We also have seen howler monkeys in the trees, on both of the times we were there. I just thought I would share this with you. Enjoy your cruise. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-08-2006, 09:59 PM

We will be on the HAL Westerdam in Belize 2/3/06. I've heard lots of pos & neg reviews of Shark Ray Alley---crowded, typical tourist spot, etc... that is why I am interested in Caye Caulker or Gofff Caye. Snorkeling is our thing. We've been to Tahiti, Hawaii, Eastern Carribean, etc... since we have only 1 day in Belize, really trying to maximize our time. Ship is in port 8am-5pm. By the way...Lamanai & The New River Safari sound really interesting , but we want to snorkle in Belize.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:05 AM

tpivnick,
I have not snorkeled Shark Ray's Alley, but have heard the samething you have. I do know the snorkeling at Caye Caulker was awesome and not crowded when I was there.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
belize, caye, compared, costa, excursion, maya, port, review, reviews, ruins, sightseeing, snorkeling, visit, vs